starter with dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbieo13

Reaction score
can you make a starter using dry yeast without hurting them. i just made one before read threas that said its not nessesary (3c h2o 1/2c dme and 2 packets of windsor brewing yeast). Also has anyone used this yeast before my lhbs is closing and thats all thy had left.
thanks

No problems with starter from dry yeast, but it is not necessary as you said, depending on batch size and gravity.

I've never used that yeast.

The reason they say a starter is not necessary with dry yeast is because it is cheaper just to buy more dry yeast then to make a started

They (John Palmer) do say to rehydrate your dry yeast before you pitch

I imagine that you will cause the yeast no harm by doing a proper starter but for people like me that are really, really lazy then I wouldn't bother

The DME would cost more than an extra pack or two of dry yeast, so you're really not helping yourself by making a starter with it.

I always rehydrate my dry yeast now before pitching after learning about osmotic shock that can happen if you don't, but my first brews where I just sprinkled the yeast right on the wort came out fine too. It's just one more thing for me to get anal about on brew day. :D

Back