Starter too strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscg4u

Reaction score
So I misinterpreted how much DME to add to my starter and I made it about twice as strong as it should be... I am making an ale with a OG of 1.064, Mr. Malty says I needed a starter with 1.66 liters (intermittent shaking), which would mean I should put 166 grams of DME (correct?) Well I put closer to 400 grams... Don't ask me how I made the mistake I'm not sure. I just want to see what the recommendation is..should I trash this one or let it finish fermenting and pitch it?

If you added 400 gr of DME to your starter I would dilute it with water to 1 gal total volume and use lager starter :) or is it fermenting already? Then just let it go as is

It's been fermenting since last night, I mean I guess I'll just let it go and pitch it... I just don't want it to ruin 5 gallons of beer

what was the OG of the starter? I calculate it at about 1.082 (there is a LOT of room for math error since my conversion factors from gr to lb and l to gal is all by memory)

that seems like a tough slogg for your yeast... But I guss I'm in the 'let it go and see what you grow' camp. While everyone on HBT says 'starters are needed' unless the yeast is really old, it usually just about enough for regular (ie about 1.040 5 gal ) batch. Mr. Malty I know says to use a small starter. Anyhow I'd guess that you are going to grow not as much yeast as you'd hope, but still have more than you started with and beable to make your beer ok.

As long as the yeast I have left will ferment my 5 gallon batch and it won't come out tasting like poo I'm good

mscg4u said:
As long as the yeast I have left will ferment my 5 gallon batch and it won't come out tasting like poo I'm good

It will be fine, you may have stressed the yeast a bit but it really shouldn't make a huge difference and I'm sure they'll be just as happy eating sugars and make great beer!

It will be fine, you may have stressed the yeast a bit but it really shouldn't make a huge difference and I'm sure they'll be just as happy eating sugars and make great beer!

Even if the OP stressed the yeast, if he just lets the starter finish out, then decants and pitches, won't most of the byproducts from the stress be left behind in the liquid he pours off before pitching?

If the starter is 1.66 liters, let's say you conservatively only pour off half and wind up pitching .8-ish liters into 5 gallons (19 liters). He's pitching a liquid volume that's roughly 4% of his overall beer volume. I think that small amount, plus the fact that his yeast will scrub the beer, including the liquid that came in with the starter, after primary fermentation, means that everything is likely to be fine.

winvarin said:
Even if the OP stressed the yeast, if he just lets the starter finish out, then decants and pitches, won't most of the byproducts from the stress be left behind in the liquid he pours off before pitching?

If the starter is 1.66 liters, let's say you conservatively only pour off half and wind up pitching .8-ish liters into 5 gallons (19 liters). He's pitching a liquid volume that's roughly 4% of his overall beer volume. I think that small amount, plus the fact that his yeast will scrub the beer, including the liquid that came in with the starter, after primary fermentation, means that everything is likely to be fine.

Exactly, that's why I stated that everything should wind up being fine:)

Wasn't trying to dispute your answer. I read my reply again and I can see how it sounds like I was. My apologies. I got too caught up looking at the numbers

Latest posts

Back