Starter too cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoundersBrew

Reaction score
Im not seeing any activity in my starter after two days. It is white labs Kolsch yeast with 32 oz of wart. I think it may be stored too cold(62 df). Do you guys think it would hurt to take it out of the fermenter, give it a swirl and let it set at room temp overnight? I have my first All-Grain brew-day tomorrow, and I'm getting a little worried about my yeast situation.

Not sure about the temperature, but definitely give it a swirl or two... If you check out the calculator at mrmalty.com, it shows that you get far better results intermittently swirling or shaking your starter than if you don't, and you get way better results even than that if you have a stir plate constatly agitating the starter.

As to the temp - if the White Labs vial said 62 was a good temp for the yeast to work at, I'd keep it right there.

The only other thing I'd point out is that starters can ferment really really fast. It's possible that the yeast have already done everything they're going to do with that starter wort, particularly in a starter that's that small.

I usually let my fermenter sit at room temp until i see airlock activity and then move it to the fridge.

The only other thing I'd point out is that starters can ferment really really fast. It's possible that the yeast have already done everything they're going to do with that starter wort, particularly in a starter that's that small.

+1 here, however even if it finished, you should see evidence of krausen.....also should be able to tell visually if it did anything. huge visual difference between dormant and active.

We just started making starters a handful of batches ago with HUGE sucess. were struggling with stuck fermentations at around the low 1.020s for our IPAs. We made starters, day before brew day on the stove in large pot. let it cool to room temp, pitched our yeast and let it sit at room temp in the same pot we boiled in, and just covered with foil. don't try to overthink the process, it really isnt that complicated. we had great sucess getting our yeast active got our FGs down in the low 1.010s.

That being said, I am sure yours is fine! Welcome to the world of All-Grain!! :mug:

Yeah, I only have a very thin layer of Krausen on top; makes me wonder if it's stuck. If this is the case, will it be ok to pitch what I have?

Its only a starter......you arent going to have a huge krausen on top. Ours barely covered the liquid. If there is krausen you know it is active because it was working.....pitch away!!

Latest posts

Back