Starter Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ketchepillar

Reaction score
So I want to brew a 1.060 stout on Monday. I am going to make a starter with my relatively fresh vial of WLP001. How should I time this? Currently I'm thinking, make it tomorrow afternoon and put it on the stirplate for about 48 hrs, then put it straight into the fridge for about 48 hrs. Take it out Mon. morning and decant. Thoughts?

I would start it 12-18 hours before you brew. You can pitch the whole starter right into your wort as long as it is under 2000 ml or so, especially in a stout where it won't affect the flavor much.

a starter needs AT LEAST 24 hours on a stir plate or almost 48 hours with frequent shaking to reproduce to a decent cell count. 48 hours on the plate and crash it it a perfect plan. that is my method, but i have slant > step 1 > step 2 > as you described.

Your plan looks good to me, although you probably don't need that much time in the fridge. Shouldn't hurt though.

You won't need to decant but it's kind of a personal preference thing. If you want to save time, the yeast will settle out within 12 hours in the fridge but if you want to give it 48, it'll be fine.

a starter needs AT LEAST 24 hours on a stir plate

From mrmalty.com:

Wyeast says starters reach their maximum cell density within 12-18 hours, which sounds about right to me. Some sources suggest that maximum cell densities are not achieved until 24 hours and others as much as 36, but the return on waiting that long is minimal. Let's just say that the bulk of the yeast growth is done by 12-18 hours.

Latest posts

Back