starter temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I searched.... I am mashing some 2 row for a starter.. do I have to control the temp for fermenting the starter or can I just keep it at room temp? I have some washed s-04 thats been in the frig for 4 months and wanna see if it works...if it does an oatmeal stout will be brewed this week.

You're not really fermenting the starter, you're just increasing cell count. IMO, keeping it at room temperature is the way to go, especially if you decant the wort before pitching.

Room temp should be good. My roommate then puts his in the fridge at around 34 degrees to have all of it settle to the bottem so it's easer to get out.

Do what I do. By a slap pack from wyeast. I'm lazy sorry. Lol.

Room temp should be good. My roommate then puts his in the fridge at around 34 degrees to have all of it settle to the bottem so it's easer to get out.

I am lazy also but love experiments. I cold just buy some s-04 but I tried my hand at washing some and it worked.. Now I am seeing if after 4 months it is still viable.

A slap pack is really still underpitching. If you want to get to a pitching count that's recommended, you need at least 2 packs.

Latest posts

Back