Starter Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Reaction score
Would it be sufficient to use say 2 vials of White Lab California WLP001 yeast in lieu of making/using a starter? I ask becuase I may have time this evening to make a Pliny Clone, but haven't made a starter.

thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Would it be sufficient to use say 2 vials of White Lab California WLP001 yeast in lieu of making/using a starter? I ask becuase I may have time this evening to make a Pliny Clone, but haven't made a starter.

thanks in advance for your thoughts.

You should be fine. Personally I've never made a starter when using a vial of White Labs and have always had good fermentation within 24hrs.

Do you have dry yeast or access to get dry yeast? Pitching a couple packs of S-05 may be a better route to go (and much more inexpensive).

After some of the things I've seen on this board, and after talking to some other brewers, I am coming over to the dry yeast camp for certain strains. I agree with pitching a couple packs of S-05, if you are going to use California I.

TL

I would rather use dry yeast for that. If you cannot get any, pitch directly from the tube. Faster, better fermentation with starter, but will work without it.

You'll be fine using only one vial without a starter, dude. It might take a few more hours, but it will end up fine. With two vials it would be highly recommended to attach a blowoff tube. :mug:

Take a look at: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
It gives the option to move the slider over to the left and use more vials. Well, that doesn't help too much since it still says you should make a starter with two. I think for a Pliny clone (OG ~1.075) you should definitely use two vials or save the cash and use dry. (I think you would really need 3 vials to be pitching the correct amount into this beer, assuming 100% viability).

Pliny is a huge beer. I had mixed results with a single vial, but I imagine you'll be fine with 2 vials. Do it! (Don't forget a blowoff!):)

Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it. So, sounds like 2 vials would work, but that dry yeast would be a good alternate. Of course, a starter would be ideal - god I'm really bad at planning ahead.

I'm going to second (or third) the recommendation for two packets of US-05. It's a great, clean, high attenuation yeast that will be perfect for this style. You could probably get by with a single pack, but for an extra $1.50 use two (you won't be overpitching).

I really can't see using liquid yeast on a beer like this; from my experience, as well as that of lots and lots of other brewers around here, the US-05 is just as good a yeast as the Cali Ale yeast. Save the liquids for when you really need the yeast to add a particular character (hefes, Belgians), not when you just need clean fermentation.

not to hyjack the thread but i'm learning a lesson here today... Did an Irish Red but only used one of the white labs california ale yeast. It was my first pitching liquid yeast and i didn't make a starter... Pitched early Saturday, noticed it bubbleing on monday morn. Since then, it's been very constant but only tossing a bubble every 8 seconds or so. In the past i noticed much faster bubbeling... Is it just going to take longer to ferment? Next time i'll do a starter.

now with the 1 vile vs 2 discussion... what is gained aside from time fermenting? I'd think the yeast would keep reproducing as long as there is food for it.

Back