starter screw-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneakypete

Reaction score
Okay, here is my situation... I ordered a kit from Northern Brewer. The 115 dream hopburst IPA. When I hopened the package, I got the wrong yeast, so I called and they shipped my Wyeast American Ale right out. When I got it Monday, the package was "inflated". I was told it would still be okay, so today I made my starter, poured in the yeast, and without thinking stuck the flask in the refrigerator. About 1 and ahalf or two hours later I realized, holy crap, I am not suppose to put that in the frige yet, so I immediately pulled it out and put it in my beer storage room in my basement. About 4 horus later I looked at it, and there apears to not be much activity if any, and there is a sediment of yeast at the bottom of the flask. I was hoping to Brew Thursday. Do you think my yeast will be okay, or should I overnight some and Brew Friday??? Any help would sure be appreciated!!!!

sneakypete said:
Okay, here is my situation... I ordered a kit from Northern Brewer. The 115 dream hopburst IPA. When I hopened the package, I got the wrong yeast, so I called and they shipped my Wyeast American Ale right out. When I got it Monday, the package was "inflated". I was told it would still be okay, so today I made my starter, poured in the yeast, and without thinking stuck the flask in the refrigerator. About 1 and ahalf or two hours later I realized, holy crap, I am not suppose to put that in the frige yet, so I immediately pulled it out and put it in my beer storage room in my basement. About 4 horus later I looked at it, and there apears to not be much activity if any, and there is a sediment of yeast at the bottom of the flask. I was hoping to Brew Thursday. Do you think my yeast will be okay, or should I overnight some and Brew Friday??? Any help would sure be appreciated!!!!

This is clearly a case of RDWHAHB. Leave it out at room temp and you'll be fine. Starters dont show signs of activity until well after 4 hours - you'll be fine by Thursday.

I've screwed up so many times like that, here's one thing I learned, the execution might have sucked but it still got the job done. Just like maomachine said, leave it out at room temp and it'll be alright.

Thanks for the replies, glad to know I'll be okay and that others have done the same thing! I had a million things going on earlier when I was doing it and felt like a total scatter brain!!

Brewed last night and finished at 7:30. This morning at 7:00 a checked on it and there is no bubbling, or any sign of activity. Is my beer garbage? Can I overnight some american ale yeast?

Well Friday morning, still no activity in fermenter so I contacted Northern Brewer. They are sending me another yeast packet. They said as long as I get it in within a week I should be good. I'm getting alittle frustrated as I was pretty excited about the beer. Hopefully it turns out.

sneakypete said:
Well Friday morning, still no activity in fermenter so I contacted Northern Brewer. They are sending me another yeast packet. They said as long as I get it in within a week I should be good. I'm getting alittle frustrated as I was pretty excited about the beer. Hopefully it turns out.

I'm not sure if this is advisable or not, but would adding camdem to the wort a day before pitching put your mind at rest?

sneakypete said:

You may in fact find that the beer starts fermenting by the time you get the new yeast:) are you using a bucket? Have you opened it to see if there is any evidence of krausen? You did not make a starter because you apparently never got it going properly so the beer was under pitched and could take up to 36 hours to begin fermenting.

RDWHAHB, when everything is said and done you will in fact have beer! Now pay attention I your fermentation temperature and try to keep it in the mid 60 range!

How is this progressing? Did you take a gravity reading and confirm that nothing was happening? Remember that you may never see any bubbling in an airlock and still have a perfectly normal fermentation.

I would estimate that at least 80% of the "My Smackpack arrived inflated" had no problems at all if they made a proper starter.

Also even with a starter it may take a day or two to see signs of fermentation.

Update:
there was no krausen in my fermenter, and it smelled almost musty, I can't really name the odor other than it wasn't pleasant. My yeast finally arrived today, it was expanded again, but I mixed it with its nutrients and just now put it into the fermenter to see what happens. Keep you fingers crossed.

I'm wondering if the last time my yeast came dead because of how hot it has been outside. Combine the heat and having it sit in a UPS truck all day as I never get my orders until the evening, and maybe it was too hot for the yeast? I hope that didn't happen this time too.

Update:
Fermenter is bubbling. I hope all turns out okay, and maybe that strange smell was just what wort smells like when it sits in a fermenter for 4 days. Keep your fingers crossed! I'm thinking I will just keep it in the primary until it's ready without using a secondary now. What do you guys think?

Back