Starter Safety Warning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navy_Chief

Reaction score
Just wanted to post a quick warning to prevent anybody else from having what just happened to me happen to them...

I was finishing up boiling a starter in an Erlenmeyer Flask on my gas stove, I don't normally boil the stir bar with the wort, my normal process is to carefully slide the bar down the side of the flask into the still very hot wort to sanitize it. Today when I did this it created a nucleation site for the VERY hot wort and it boiled over onto my hand holding the flask and a bit hit my stomach. No serious injuries, I have a pretty good first degree burn on my hand and a couple of spots on my stomach (shirt saved me from the worst of it there).

There has never been an issue with this in the past, not sure what conditions were different this time but it was less than fun.

Careful out there...
:mug:

Ouch! I once dropped some ice cubes into a cup of coffee I accidentally "boiled" while heating in the microwave. Instant volcano. Cool science experiment. Lousy mess to clean up.

Thank you for the warning! This isn't the first time, and it won't be the last, but your warning might save a couple of people from getting burned. After seeing these threads, I know to be more careful when boiling wort.

As someone who might be making a starter in the near future, what's the best way to avoid this? Just let it cool, or boil with the stir bar?

As someone who might be making a starter in the near future, what's the best way to avoid this? Just let it cool, or boil with the stir bar?

Either boil with the stir bar to sanitize it, or sanitize the stir bar separately. I always just boil my stir bar in the flask with the wort.

As for dropping the bar in, I found it's easy to use a fridge magnet on the outside of the flask to move it down into the wort. And I retrieve it the same way, just start at the bottom and pull the bar up the side until it's at the mouth, it will slide right over the lip and stick directly to the magnet. Science!

As for dropping the bar in, I found it's easy to use a fridge magnet on the outside of the flask to move it down into the wort. And I retrieve it the same way, just start at the bottom and pull the bar up the side until it's at the mouth, it will slide right over the lip and stick directly to the magnet. Science!

Great way to never lose the stir bar when pitching your yeast. Keep it stuck to the bottom.

I just add mine after the wort is chilled. I let it sit in star san until I'm ready to add it.

I throw mine in right as I flameout. I use no-foam too, so it helps to prevent sputtering. You can still boil it over if you're careless though. Don't add any powders during the boil. I threw some yeast nutrient in late and it made quite the mess! :)

I use a, "cow magnet". I got it from my father's estate and have no idea why he had it. Yet, being from Wisconsin there are a lot of cow magnets around I am sure. You can probably get one from your local vet.

Gammon N Beer said:
I use a, "cow magnet". I got it from my father's estate and have no idea why he had it. Yet, being from Wisconsin there are a lot of cow magnets around I am sure. You can probably get one from your local vet.

TaKing about the magnet they put inside cows. Not sure why they do, but My dad worked in a slaughter house for many years and I recall those magnets ending up at the house.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Home Brew Talk

The cow magnet were to collect any iron nails or fence pieces that the bovine may accidentally ingest. The magnet and the nails etc. would sit in the bottom of the stomach and cells would grow around it. This prevented nails and such from making way to the intestines and puncturing anything. They saved alot of cattle from premature death.

Happy brewing.

I don't bother boiling it, like someone else said, just let it sit in a little bowl of starsan for a few mins while the starter is cooling.

Just wanted to post a quick warning to prevent anybody else from having what just happened to me happen to them...

I was finishing up boiling a starter in an Erlenmeyer Flask on my gas stove, I don't normally boil the stir bar with the wort, my normal process is to carefully slide the bar down the side of the flask into the still very hot wort to sanitize it. Today when I did this it created a nucleation site for the VERY hot wort and it boiled over onto my hand holding the flask and a bit hit my stomach. No serious injuries, I have a pretty good first degree burn on my hand and a couple of spots on my stomach (shirt saved me from the worst of it there).

There has never been an issue with this in the past, not sure what conditions were different this time but it was less than fun.

Careful out there...
:mug:

Been there, done that too, burns and all. What a mess as my flask was aimed towards the toaster on the counter................. We have a new toaster :mad:

Back