Starter Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDB

Reaction score
7 th batch, first starter. I followed the sticky, used 1/3 DME to 2 cups water (following the guidance about not creating alcohol, just getting the yeasties going), dumped yeast and let it rip 24 hours, then ptiched. I pitched 1 a.m. monday mornign and 5 hours later little activity. After 18 hours, bubbling steady (every 3 seconds) and still going almost that pace after 2 days. 1.069 OG. Just curious, should it be going stronger? I was worried because my liquid yeast looked screwey, hard to mix the sediment with the liquid in the vial by shaking, it kept separating. Yeast said "use by August 2012" I dunno was the yeast on its last leg? I just read about people using starters and getting crazy fermentation and this one was business as usual. THanks

How 'crazy' the fermentation gets will depend on the recipe, the yeast and the fermentation temps among other things. I would bet that you are doing just fine. Some yeasts are more prone to sedimentation and sticking in the vial.

A lot depends on the strain of the yeast, the recipe and the temperature. I keep my fermentation temps on the low side and often the fermentation is low and slow.

The one I have going now went slowly for 3 days then the krausen hit the max and has been blowing off for 2 days.

My last one bubbled slowly with about 3/4 inch of krausen for 11 days.

Some fermentations are not vigorous, even with ideal yeast - it just depends on the strain.

That being said, this may not have been an ideal vial, and your starter may be what is giving you a "normal" fermentation.

If it's fermenting, don't worry. Let the yeast do their thing - they know how to make beer.

Was it wyeast ESB? That is so crazy flocculant that as soon as you stop stirring it clumps up again! On the up and up it's fermenting!

Actually had another question I forgot to mention -- when I pitched my starter I noticed a yeast cake on the bottom of the jug (I did the starter in a growler, foil on top to let ait in). I figured that stuff needed to be in my primary so I gave a quick little rinse with clean water and dumped that in too.
That the right thing to do?

I am not terribly worried about this batch as its chugging along I just want to know these things for future reference as I plan on brewing alot more higher gravity beers and using starters regularly.

You're probably fine as others have said, but ...

It sounds like a big beer (1.069 is fairly big), and a small starter (1 pint). I would try to make a 2L starter minimum, more if possible. Let it go for a couple days, chill, decant, pitch. So it takes a lttle more advance planning. But the more yeast you can pitch, the better.

Cheers!

Actually had another question I forgot to mention -- when I pitched my starter I noticed a yeast cake on the bottom of the jug (I did the starter in a growler, foil on top to let ait in). I figured that stuff needed to be in my primary so I gave a quick little rinse with clean water and dumped that in too.
That the right thing to do?

I am not terribly worried about this batch as its chugging along I just want to know these things for future reference as I plan on brewing alot more higher gravity beers and using starters regularly.

The right thing to do is to shake up that starter to fully mix that yeast cake in - you definitely want that when you pitch. Rinsing works, too.

Back