Starter overflowing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr0506

Reaction score
Morning all,

So I made a 1L starter last night in prep for brewing tomorrow. I can down this morning and gave it a quick swirl without much though. Just looked at again and there is stuff leaking out from my aluminum foil cover. HERE'S a pic:

It smells like yeast but there is still some foam at the top of my flask (ie the wort is not all the way to the top). Should I be worried as long as the foil is covering the top top of the flask? I'm guessing at the least I shouldn't swirl it again. Thanks!

View attachment 1420894879116.jpg

This happens, not a problem. I would replace the foil with a new sanitized foil cap, wipe down the neck of the flask with a sanitized paper towel. This will keep fruit flies from congregating, if there are any around. The next swirl and shake will have less of a krausen because the sugars are decreasing in the wort as the yeast work.
I would recommend at least a 2 liter flask, or any other glass or plastic container, of at least 2 liters in size.
You will not be able to boil the wort on the gas burner with other types of containers, but boiling the wort in a sanitary kettle reduces the risk of a boil over messing up the stove top.

Thanks Guys. Appreciate the feedback (signed in from my other handle). Good idea on the new sanitized cap. I do have a 2L flask that was also in use at the time (actually I just noticed you can see it in the background of my photo :) ). That one's not having an issue, I guess I just didn't expect the yeast to take off like that. Ambitious little buggers!

I had same problem with Munich lager yeast from wyeast... 2308. I think... But it was spinning on the plate for no more than 6 hrs and had to switch out the foam stopper for a bubbler... By the end of 12 hrs was foaming up into bubbler.... Couldn't continue any further... Next morning i turned on plate just to spin up and stir yeast and it was like a geyser and sprayed foam all over the place... Like mount Vesuvius. It was crazy hyper yeast. It was put into an Oktoberfest and was done in 12 days

Latest posts

Back