Starter from wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptMogul

Reaction score
I always have used DME for my starters but as cost are going up I am giving some thought how to go about using wort as my starter base. I brew 5 G every 3 weeks. I would like a few comments from brewers that use this method and pit-falls if any.
Thanks Ed B

I've been making my own starter wort for years. If I don't have any frozen kettle leftovers I do a mini mash on to kitchen hob. I reboil (actually simmer with lid on) before use. I'd argue it's more nutritious for the yeast. Go for it.

Edit: Post in thread 'Stir/Shake/Harvest' Stir/Shake/Harvest

Last edited:
It works great. Storage is the key issue - frozen or pressure canned are the safe ways to go if you are not using it immediately.

It works great. Storage is the key issue - frozen or pressure canned are the safe ways to go if you are not using it immediately.

More info on the freezing option? I imagine you're not filling Mason jars to the top and chucking them in the freezer.

Thanks, I only need to store a few weeks. So I save a few pints for my next build?

More info on the freezing option? I imagine you're not filling Mason jars to the top and chucking them in the freezer.
I haven't done it, but I know people have been successful with it.
I've frozen soup stock in Mason jars before. Just give it plenty of room to expand.

If it's less than a week you can probably keep it in the fridge with good sanitation and a reboil before use.

I freeze the wort in plastic cottage cheese containers, usually the (very handy) squat 1.5 quart (48 oz) tubs. You can store the wort at any gravity, then re-boil and dilute to the starter gravity you want.

I prefer freezing them a tad higher than double gravity (1.086), to save storage space in the freezer, and when diluted to 1.037 there's enough for 2 or 3 starters. But any gravity of the leftovers you end up with will work fine.

Good suggestions on PET bottles! Never thought about using them! You guys think your standard 16.9oz water bottles would suffice or Coke bottles preferred?

I never used plain water bottles. The soda bottles are much stronger. No reason not to use them if you have some around. I have frozen water in thin water bottles with no ill effect.

I never used plain water bottles. The soda bottles are much stronger. No reason not to use them if you have some around. I have frozen water in thin water bottles with no ill effect.
Many water bottles are softish, thin plastic. But some are thick and solid, like soda bottles, thick PET, such as the original Aquafina bottles. Much too good for single use/recycling. Some of those iced tea bottles are even heftier, crazy durable, and have a wider mouth.

I'd use those over the thin water bottles, although either should work fine. Once frozen you can store them horizontally, stacked, or inside a box for easier handling/storing.

I like using the 48 oz squat cottage cheese containers as they stack 3-4 high, or the 4 or 5 quart ice cream tubs. And you only need to defrost them just enough for the block of ice to release itself from the sides and bottom (by placing one in a pot with some hot water for a couple minutes). Then dump the chunk and all into your starter wort pot.

I'll stick with the soda bottles then. I figured with water bottles, there would be no carry over flavors like from the soda bottles? I'm looking at this like I would used ball lock Pepsi corny kegs.

Back in first foray into brewing, long time ago, we always bottled and capped some wort into a few glass bottles to add back to fermented beer to carbonate from same batch at time of bottling. It usually worked pretty well.

These days I keg, mainly carbonating by spunding, with force carb as alternate. But it is a sound and very old way of priming.

It would work just as well as a wort starter. One good thing with this process is that your dealing with a mostly sanitized input at this point, hopefully.

Many water bottles are softish, thin plastic. But some are thick and solid, like soda bottles, thick PET, such as the original Aquafina bottles. Much too good for single use/recycling. Some of those iced tea bottles are even heftier, crazy durable, and have a wider mouth.

I'd use those over the thin water bottles, although either should work fine. Once frozen you can store them horizontally, stacked, or inside a box for easier handling/storing.

I like using the 48 oz squat cottage cheese containers as they stack 3-4 high, or the 4 or 5 quart ice cream tubs. And you only need to defrost them just enough for the block of ice to release itself from the sides and bottom (by placing one in a pot with some hot water for a couple minutes). Then dump the chunk and all into your starter wort pot.

I guess we throw out a lot of containers we could put to good use again

I dislike the smell of plastic with a passion. I store everything in glass pyrex or mason jars. I use an instapot canner sometimes to sterilize jars of wort. Set it and forget it.

When I do no sparge brews I pour a gallon of RO water over the grains after collecting what I need for the boil. There are enough minerals left in the grains to use straight RO water. I get about one gallon of 1.030-1.035 wort pour into canning jars with a dash of nutrient and pressure can them. Then I mark the lid with type of wort and date and store in a cool dark place, basement, closet etc. No need to refrigerate. If it's a year or more I dump it.

Latest posts

Back