starter for dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myersn024

Reaction score
Is it necessary to make a starter for dry yeast or is rehydrating sufficient? I bought some DME a while ago for making a starter for some WL yeast I was planning on buying, but I got dry yeast instead. I was planning on brewing tonight, but I forgot to make the starter a few days ago. So, do I rehydrate and pitch or make the starter and then brew tomorrow or Sunday night?

I've never done either and never had a problem. I cool things down to brewing temperature range and just sprinkle the dry yeast (normally Nottingham's) over the top of the open fermenter (I use a plastic fermenter for my primary, so this is easy). If you use a carboy for a primary you might not be able to do it this way so easily.

[Edited for clarity]

With my first brew, a Muntons kit, I used dry yeast and a 5 gallon plastic jug like what you put in a water cooler as my carboy. After rehydrating the yeast, I dumped the yeast and rehydration water into the carboy and then shook it up one last time. Everything turned out great despite a few mishaps. I was just wondering about whether or not to make a starter since it is common knowledge that dry yeast is viable 99% of the time. I guess the only real reason to make a starter with dry yeast is to reduce lag time. However, if the Muntons dry yeast was any indicator as to how well dry yeast actually works then there really isn't any need. My first brew took off so fast that when I woke up the next morning, the airlock was blown out and krausen was everywhere.

I sorta make a starter. I do it after my AG mash gets going, so about 4 hours. Just a little jump- it should be making foam by the time I pitch.

Hell I used to just sprinkle it over the wort..... still worked great. Dont mis read me here.... best to rehydrate you know....

I've found that rehydration really helps get fermentation started quickly; it also (generally, but not absolutely) results in a more vigorous and sizeable krausen. Outside of that, I've had perfect success just pitching dry directly to the cooled wort. I'd only recommend a starter in special circumstances, such as pitching finishing yeasts (i.e. Champagne, Cuvee, or Strong Ale) on top of already-fermented wort.

So, if you wanna see quick fermenting and big krausen, rehydrate. Otherwise, no worries.

Back