Started with beginner kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeginnerBub33

Reaction score
So I'm just learning how to make mead with a beginner kit because why not, but my gravity isn't at what the recipe says it should be at, it's says 1.000, but mine is at 1.100. Should I just let it run its course?

1.000 is where the gravity should be AFTER fermentation. 1.100 is a solid Original Gravity (OG) when you pitch the yeast.

Does the kit have you back sweetening? 1.000 is as bone dry as it gets.
The recipe said it was a dry mead and I'm not that knowledgeable so I figured I'd just start with anything. It doesn't have any backsweetener, and it's at 1.100 gravity after 4 weeks which is why I was a bit worried

Edit...

Something is wrong. Can you describe what you did? Sounds like the yeast was pitched too hot.

I back sweeten my meads. Seriously doubt you would enjoy 1.000.

Edit...

Something is wrong. Can you describe what you did? Sounds like the yeast was pitched too hot.

I back sweeten my meads. Seriously doubt you would enjoy 1.000.
3 weeks and 6 days ago, April 9th. And I don't know anything about backsweeting, but I'm just starting out so I'm just excited to learn!

I'm happy for your excitement! Brewing is such a fun hobby. Have you sampled the mead? I assume you tried since a gravity reading was taken. Did you see bubbling in the air lock? Truly 1.100 after 4 weeks is not right.

Did the recipe have you pitch the Yeast D-47 or EC1113?

My peach mead. 1.100 to 1.000 then back sweeten with 2lbs of honey and 3lbs of frozen peaches.

PXL_20210506_205036297.jpg

Last edited:
I just tried following this

I don't see anything wrong with those instructions. If your really truly is 1.100 there is a way to save this. Get a package of the yeast I mentioned above or another of your original yeast. Sanitize another container then pour back and forth between your fermentation vessel and the sanitized container to oxygenate the wort then pitch the yeast. Just a suggestion.

I don't see anything wrong with those instructions. If your really truly is 1.100 there is a way to save this. Get a package of the yeast I mentioned above or another of your original yeast. Sanitize another container then pour back and forth between your fermentation vessel and the sanitized container to oxygenate the wort then pitch the yeast. Just a suggestion.
Thank you! I'll try that as soon as I get the yeast and I'll post again when I notice changes!

Latest posts

Back