Starsan in beer lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mward

Reaction score
I've kept a keg full of starsan out next to my kegerator for the last couple of weeks. When we're not actively pulling pints I tap the starsan keg to clean the lines out and keep them infection free. This is probably overkill, right? I know BLC is better for cleaning beer lines but I was reserving that for between kegs although I'm not sure how dirty things can get if I flush with star san often. Is leaving starsan in my lines going to harm anything? Thanks.

you might want to be careful with starsan left in the keg for lengthy periods of time though. i've read that starsan isn't good for longterm storage in stainless, and can pit the metal over time.

gnef said:
you might want to be careful with starsan left in the keg for lengthy periods of time though. i've read that starsan isn't good for longterm storage in stainless, and can pit the metal over time.

I'd have to disagree. Star San is phosphoric acid. One of the main things that give Coca Cola and Pespi it's bite is phosphoric acid. And if you need to repassivate your stainless steel one of the best things to use is Oleic acid.

So if Coke and Pespi use these cornies for storage of their acidic products I'd think it would be OK to store Star San in them.

abracadabra said:
I'd have to disagree. Star San is phosphoric acid. One of the main things that give Coca Cola and Pespi it's bite is phosphoric acid. And if you need to repassivate your stainless steel one of the best things to use is Oleic acid.

So if Coke and Pespi use these cornies for storage of their acidic products I'd think it would be OK to store Star San in them.

I completely agree with you, abracadabra...I've left StarSan in kegs for months with no ill effects.

The only thing the StarSan may do is cloud your tubing after it's sat in the lines for extended periods.

drost

Latest posts

Back