Starsan Bubbles in Brew???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmlipps

Reaction score
I use starsan to sanitize, it says not to rinse after sanitizing. So I use the starsan on everything and when I fill the carboy with it and them dump it out there are a lot of bubbles left in the carboy and when I put the cooled wort in the bubbles were floating on top. After agitating the bubbles went away...into my wort...is this a problem? Should I do something different in the future?

As long as you used the proper water to sanitizer ratio, you should not have a problem.

A small amount of StarSan foam shouldn't harm the beer, and in fact may help; one of the active ingredients is phosphoric acid, which becomes various phosphate compounds when in contact with organic material, and those can be nutrients for the yeast. As long as you are using the recommended solution of 1 oz. per 5 gallons, a little foam shouldn't be a problem, and even a stronger solution (e.g., a spray bottle with a 0.5 oz/gallon solution for sanitizing equipment such as a thermometer or a winethief) won't be trouble in tiny amounts.

The proper amount of Starsan to 1 gallon of water is 3/4'ths of the way up to the 1/4oz mark on the lil measuring cube on the right side of the top of the bottle. and it does indeed become yeast food,so no worries there.

Back