Starsan after almost a year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abweatherley

Reaction score
Hey guys

Well it's been a year since my last brew and since my last post on HBT, stuff came up didn't have the cash flow for ingredients/kits (newbie).

Anyway so...I have a 5gal Carboy with which is about 3/4 full of last years starsan solution, I am going to throw it down the drain as I doubt it will be of any standard to santize my brewing equipment now.

Hypothetically, is there any way to test the viability of a starsan solution if u keep it say 3 months in an airtight container?

Hey guys

Well it's been a year since my last brew and since my last post on HBT, stuff came up didn't have the cash flow for ingredients/kits (newbie).

Anyway so...I have a 5gal Carboy with which is about 3/4 full of last years starsan solution, I am going to throw it down the drain as I doubt it will be of any standard to santize my brewing equipment now.

Hypothetically, is there any way to test the viability of a starsan solution if u keep it say 3 months in an airtight container?

By checking the pH, I've heard!

Check the pH... When I made mine up with tap water, it was crap in one week. If the pH is still less than 3, you're good to go.

Or just make up some more if you don't have the pH'ing capability. I discovered this the hard way... By thinking that my 3 week old tap water/star san solution was okay and spraying down my wine thief... poor old brown ale turned sour... ;) Checked the pH of the star san solution and it was ABOVE three. Now I make up the star san solution in distilled water (grocery store) and it stays crystal clear forever.

Per How to brew:
" Star San
Star San is an acidic sanitizer from the makers of PBW and was developed especially for sanitizing brewing equipment. It requires only 30 seconds of contact time and does not require rinsing. Unlike other no-rinse sanitizers, Star San will not contribute off-flavors at higher than recommended concentrations. The recommended usage is one fluid ounce per 5 gallons of water. The solution can be put in a spray bottle and used as a spray-on sanitizer for glassware or other items that are needed in a hurry. The foam is just as effective as immersion in the solution. Also, the surfactant used in Star San will not affect the head retention of beer like those used in detergents.

Star San is my preferred sanitizer for all usages except those that I can conveniently do in the dishwasher. A solution of Star San has a long usage life and an open bucket of it will remain active for several days. Keeping a solution of Star San in a closed container will increase its shelf life. The viability of the solution can be judged by its clarity; it turns cloudy as the viability diminishes.

One last note on this product: Because it is listed as a sanitizer and bactricide by the FDA and EPA, the container must list disposal warnings that are suitable for pesticides. Do not be alarmed, it is less hazardous to your skin than bleach."

Hope that helps...

The life of StarSan can be extended almost indefinitely if soft water is used to create the solution. Either RO, distilled, or salt-softened (ion-exchange) water are suitable for creating long-lasting StarSan solutions. I have an open bucket of solution that was created using RO water in my garage. Its still clear. I made a bucket of solution a couple of weeks ago using my tap water and it clouded after a couple of days.

I did an experiment a few months ago using RO water and that solution remained clear its entire life as it evaporated from it open container. The pH remained suitably low the whole time.

My starsan turns white IMMEDIATELY. I don't know how clarity could be used as an indication of pH. I have reused my cloudy as hell starsan for MANY brews refreshing the supply from time to time. Either I am very lucky or it's not as affected by the cloudy water as some say.

My starsan turns white IMMEDIATELY. I don't know how clarity could be used as an indication of pH. I have reused my cloudy as hell starsan for MANY brews refreshing the supply from time to time. Either I am very lucky or it's not as affected by the cloudy water as some say.

Unless you've actually tested the pH, I vote "lucky".

Star San is an acid based product. If you mix it into hard water the acid will immediately react with the carbonates and the pH will rise, lowering its effectiveness...

Cheers!

Sorry... I wasn't implying that clarity was a surrogate for pH... which is why I said that checking the pH is the definitive way of checking... In my case though, my cloudy star san solution was good initially, and yes it turned cloudy immediately, it definitely degraded based on pH readings. This is in STARK contrast to the solution I made 3 months ago with DI water which is still clear and still comes in at less that 3.

However, the cloudiness of the solution CAN mean that the mineral or hardness (of most concern calcium) of the water in which it is mixed in high, which in some cases can inactivate the phosphoric acid in star san by complexing with the phosphoric acid and form calcium phosphate decreasing it's sanitization properties. At least that is my understanding...

So... For the OP... my only point was why risk it for a $20-60 batch of beer? Either invest in some pH paper/meter or make it fresh... that was all. My 2 cents.

Back