Staring hop crowns in pots. Good or bad idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ststephen5

Reaction score
I received a couple of hop crowns from Great Lakes Hops. The weather in the Northeast is still way to cold and the ground not even close to being workable. I'm therefore contemplating staring these babies in pots to let them get a head start and then transplant them into the garden when the threat of frost has passed. Any thoughts on this being a good/bad idea? Right now i'm keeping them cold and moist in a bag with 50% rice hulls and 50% potting soil. My concern is that they are already starting to sprout.

It is not a bad idea to put them into soil if you have them already. Trim them back as needed until they can get into the ground. Do not worry they will play catch up once outside.

I bought crowns from GLH last year. I did not start them in pots and put them in the ground in late April (Northern IL). They did very well. Getting them in soft soil and allowing the roots to begin growing would be helpful, especially if you may be moving them after May 1.

Back