New Hop Yard Problems... How to fix this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guittarmaster

Reaction score
Hello,

So, I planted the new hops in spring, a cascade, centennial, fuggle, Sorachi Ace, and sterling.The cascade was a 2nd year, last year it was cultivated from a clipping and grown in a planter it's 1st year. the sterling never came up.

This is my 6th year growing hops and I've never seen what I'm about to describe happen.

In late spring I noticed a lot of brown spots along the edges of the hops and lots of discoloration. I hit them with a copper fungicide and kept them well watered. I thought I was winning and the BOOM! almost all of the green on my cascade was gone! This was about early August after the plant had started to produce cones. :( I tried clipping the dead stuff back and it started to re-sprout and then the same thing happened, almost over night BOOM! all brown and dead.

The centennial, fuggle, and Sorachi Ace are all struggling with these spots too but none look as bad as the cascade did. none of those remaining hops put out any cones and they really haven't grown more than a few feet. Does this seem to be fungus related? Did I not use enough fungicide?

The hops were planted on the south facing part of my house either planters or raised beds with a mixture of manure and peat moss for soil. could it have been too much sunlight or too close to the house and they baked on the hottest days? I've used the soil mixture in the garden with great success with vegetables so i thought it would work well for hops.

The spots didn't start until after I put mulch on them to keep the soil from drying out as fast. Would that matter, I think it's cypress or other pine mulch.

A few other weather details. I live in Mid Missouri. This summer had average water, lots of humidity, and consistently hot, like, 95-103F hot for about 2.5 months.

I want to grow more hops next year so should I remove all the soil before I start? What would be a good treatment for them to prepare them for winter?

Thanks!

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1822.JPG

Back