Star Sans and how long???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldengrl

Reaction score
I just started using this product and I have a question. The last time I brewed I cleaned and sanitized 2 carboys. I ended up only using 1 and I set the other to the side with an empty sanitized airlock. The queston is do I have to resanitize or should it be okay??

If you leave the Airlock in the bung it will stretch it per say, allow it to reclaim it's original shape.. I cover the carboy with ziplock bag and rubber band and re sanitize at next use.

In theory you should be okay.

In practice, it only takes a minute to be SURE it's okay to use. I've personally found a spray bottle with no-rinse sanitizer (like Star San) to be awesome for sanitizing carboys on the fly.

It would probably take you less time to re-sanitize it than it took you to ask your question. I think you will be fine to use it as is, but it never hurts to sanitize again and be sure.

Keep a spray bottle of Star San. It will stay good for months. When you need something, just give it a quick spray. It literally can't get any easier.

I keep a 5 gal bucket of the stuff ready at all times.

For carboys I just use a funnel and pour in about 5 cups of SS and shake/swirl for a couple of seconds then pour it back into the bucket...wait 30 seconds and done...;)

Gnome said:
If you leave the Airlock in the bung it will stretch it per say, allow it to reclaim it's original shape.. I cover the carboy with ziplock bag and rubber band and re sanitize at next use.

I've tried just putting a little saran-wrap and rubber band that after sanitation and haven't had a problem yet. I think this would be a viable method? Anyone else done this?

brewawan said:
I've tried just putting a little saran-wrap and rubber band that after sanitation and haven't had a problem yet. I think this would be a viable method? Anyone else done this?

I did that on my last brew, i sanitized in the morning and let it sit with saran over it all day. I hope it works. It isnt done yet.

Back