Star san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitoh

Reaction score
G'day guys just want to learn what I can about star San. Only a beginner at homebrew and have seen you all rave about star San. I'm in Australia and can't get it where I live but I can buy it off amazon. Is it really that good? And is it ok for bottling?

I was just checking it out and saw they have a non foaming version called saniclean. It says it's good for 1 week after mixing is this right?? And should I buy this stuff? Help!

I love StarSan. I mix up a three gallon batch with distilled water and it stays good for months. Get some pH test strips and as long as it stays under 3 or 4 you're good.

Never tried saniclean but star san is great stuff. Get a few huge bottles of it while the US$ is in the crapper. Yes, it's great for bottling. Mix with distilled water and keep in an airtight container and it will last months.

Awesome! Thanks heaps for your good advice I'll be getting some!

rabbitoh said:
I was just checking it out and saw they have a non foaming version called saniclean. It says it's good for 1 week after mixing is this right?? And should I buy this stuff? Help!

I think the sanniclean is more like iodophor. IMO star San is the best

Can you get iodophor locally? If so, I wouldn't bother with ordering the other stuff off Amazon. Iodophor works, it does exactly what it is supposed to do. If it didn't, commercial breweries wouldn't use it... their livelihood depends on it

I'm not sure about iodiphor I've never seen it I'll have a look around thanks for that

Can you get iodophor locally? If so, I wouldn't bother with ordering the other stuff off Amazon. Iodophor works, it does exactly what it is supposed to do. If it didn't, commercial breweries wouldn't use it... their livelihood depends on it

Agreed. I use StarSan exclusively now but I used Iodophor at first. Both work just fine. I just like StarSan because it's clear and you can make awesome foam sculptures with it!

Back