Star San question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoogDaddy

Reaction score
I read the sanitation section, in particular the interview notes regarding Star San.

This is my first time using this product and my question is this:

I have noticeable residue from the Star San in my bottles, like soap bubbles. Is this hazardous to my beer or anyone that drinks it after bottled?

Thanks again for any help, you guys are always great.

+1

The foam is nothing to be concerned about. It will soon be neutralized and consumed by the yeast. Many of us swear by the stuff, so you should be fine. Just dump out any residual liquid that might be left in the bottles and ignore the foam.

I've brewed 2 batches. Prior to ever brewing I did a lot of research, and good sanitation seemed critical, so I made the investment in some Star San.

I remember all the foam in the 2ndary fermenter, on that first batch. Freaked me out but went ahead and racked right into it, as I had read--here on the forum--not to fear the foam. You will also get foam in the bottles when sanitizing. Bottle on, the foam has no negative effects on the beer.

Find a way to store it, as Star San is reusable--there is more information on the site here somewhere as to how to store and how to tell if it's still good. Also, somewhere on the forum I read that 6ml star san can be mixed per gal water--if you don't want to mix up a full 5 gallons of the stuff. (BTW, I also like the fact that it can be put in a spray bottle and sprayed on certain items--very convenient)

Latest posts

Back