Star-San longevity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilbone

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post my experience here since I've seen several conversations about how long sanitizers last once mixed and stored as I've wondered the same things myself.

I've had 1 gallon of star-san mixed up for 10 or 11 months and have used it on several batches, so I thought I better check pH before I use it again. It currently has a pH of 2 so I should be good to go for quite a while.

For those that dump it once it goes cloudy or after only 1 or 2 uses I'd definitely hang onto it for a while...that pH is going to stay put for quite some time.

I only brew in Spring and Fall, and usually there's part of a gallon of mix that sits down there in the interim. As far as I can tell, it always works fine when I use it.

Good longevity with StarSan is possible when soft water is used. Distilled, RO, and even softener water is quite suitable for StarSan use. This is the one time in brewing that ion-exchange softened water is usable in brewing.

I saw on a episode of brewing tv that said as long as the ph is under 3 you are good to go, well i think they said three. I used it for the first time last week and it was cloudy.

Distilled water makes it crystal clear for me. If I use tap it's cloudy, but the pH is right on for months.

-d

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

do you keep it in a sealed bucket?

a gallon milk jug...

As for the tap vs. RO or distilled...the metallic ions will definitely cloud it, but pH is what is important. The chlorine used to treat the tap water is more of a concern to affect the pH than the metallic ions.

Does anyone here know how long its acceptable to keep one step around for? I have been keeping 3 gallons in a bucket with a lid for about 5 weeks, I have used it probably 4 times. I noticed last week that it is getting cloudy, and I was thinking about dumping it.

I'd keep it around, but I use one of those 20 gallon plastic tubs to sanitize everything. Within a few days I walk by it and it has a collection of dead insects in it.

Does anyone here know how long its acceptable to keep one step around for? I have been keeping 3 gallons in a bucket with a lid for about 5 weeks, I have used it probably 4 times. I noticed last week that it is getting cloudy, and I was thinking about dumping it.

If you are using it to "clean" or remove bottle labels, keep it around. If you are using it to "sanitize" dump it.

Latest posts

Back