Star San in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UdonPete

Reaction score
If you are using CO2 to push out the Start San in a Corny through the beer out (long dip tube) how can you be sure all the Star San is out of the keg and none left behind ?

Use an extra short gas dip tube. Invert keg and tilt so that any remaining starsan liquid collects over the gas post. Connect a free gas disconnect briefly, until remaining liquid is forced out. Job done. Works great when using floating dip tubes, too.

Here's my process, garnered from this forum.
I'm sure it's overkill and I should probably just purge with fermentation gas... but nonetheless, this is my process.

Take the gas dip tube out and cut it short so it's flush on the inside of the keg when re-inserted. You want to feel no edge or lip.

1. Place a bottling gallon bucket full of distilled water Starsan on table. ~6.5 gallons
2. Place the keg on floor
3. Drain from the bucket to the keg beer out post with the displaced air going out the gas in port into a better bottle or some other larger container (not a cup).
4. Once star san starts coming out into the better bottle, I tip the keg so the gas post is at the highest point and rock the keg back and forth for a bit.
5. Once I get all the last bits of foam and air out, you should see a steady solid stream of starsan flowing, take off the gas disconnect. Then take off the beer disconnect.
6. Move the Starsan bucket to floor
7. Hook up CO2 to the gas in on the keg, and turn on C02. Then put the liquid line into the Starsan bucket and connect liquid ball lock. Push Starsan back into the bucket (I reuse Starsan for a long time)
8. Once C02 starts blowing out the liquid line, I disconnect liquid line, let some pressure build in the keg, then disconnect the gas and let the keg sit for an hour or so.
9. I'll pop a liquid ball lock disconnect on after the hour passes and blow all the Starsan out that settles to the bottom of the keg, still leaving pressure in the keg.
10. Then I invert the keg, and lean it at an angle against something, so the gas post is the lowest spot on the keg.
11. I let the keg sit overnight in that position.
12. After the wait,I pick up the keg, maintaining the same position (gas post at the lowest point) the whole time, and pop a gas disconnect on quickly to blow out any remaining Starsan. This is arguably the most annoying part of the whole process. I've had thoughts about building a keg holder to position the keg at the right angle, and maybe even up high, so you can just pop on the gas disconnect easy without picking up the keg.

Last edited:
Or...
Since most corny keg lids have a PRV built in:
I purge, turn ked upside down, let it sit for a bit, then pull the PRV for a second.
(You can always add more C02 if you want).
But as said above- a little star san aint bad at all. Consider it like a 1/4 cup of clean water in 5 gallons of beer. Don't fear the foam! Lol.

Or...
Since most corny keg lids have a PRV built in:
I purge, turn ked upside down, let it sit for a bit, then pull the PRV for a second.
(You can always add more C02 if you want).
But as said above- a little star san aint bad at all. Consider it like a 1/4 cup of clean water in 5 gallons of beer. Don't fear the foam! Lol.
I have heard this many times : Don't fear the foam but I would still prefer my beer to be 100% beer if possible

Why not boiled and cooled water instead of Star-San if you are concerned about possible larger amounts of Star-San remaining in the keg.

You already cleaned and sanitized the keg, hoses and couplings first didn't you?

Why not boiled and cooled water instead of Star-San if you are concerned about possible larger amounts of Star-San remaining in the keg.

You already cleaned and sanitized the keg, hoses and couplings first didn't you?
After sanitizing the keg one could boil up 19 litres of water, put in the keg and then purge out with the Co2 - but pratically ?

IT used to worry me but now it doesn't. It really and truly doesn't hurt anything to have a tablespoon of star san SOLUTION still in the keg.

You can, of course, make your solution very weak and just leave it in there for a couple of weeks. Then that tablespoon of solution might have just a couple drops of star san in it.

IT used to worry me but now it doesn't. It really and truly doesn't hurt anything to have a tablespoon of star san SOLUTION still in the keg.

You can, of course, make your solution very weak and just leave it in there for a couple of weeks. Then that tablespoon of solution might have just a couple drops of star san in it.
I'll try 2 kegs side by side and see :)

After sanitizing the keg one could boil up 19 litres of water, put in the keg and then purge out with the Co2 - but pratically ?
I don't know how practical it is for your case, but water, gas and electricity are reasonably cheap here.

Also, you don't really need to get it to a boil at all. Just bringing it to >170° F (77° C) for a short period will probably be adequate as any star-san sanitation. And I can do that on my kitchen stove in two or three smaller pots.

And if you trust your water source, then I'd have to wonder if it's even necessary at all. Though it does provide extra insurance to go the extra effort to ensure it's sanitary by what ever means is reasonable to you.

Latest posts

Back