Star-san in bulk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkpq45

Reaction score
As much as I love supporting my LHBS, I'd prefer to get a deal on some Star-San.

Any input?

1 Ounce in 5 Gallons of Reverse Osmosis or distilled water lasts me well over a year through the of a spray bottle and or reclamation. At that rate, a 32 ounce bottle will last me 32 years as long as the chemical has the shelf stability for it.

I pretty much consider that as bulk but, you can special order 5 Star products in bulk containers. IIRC, the largest container you can get is a 1 gallon jug but they ship from the manufacturer in a case of 4.

I was able to get Acid #5 from a wholesaler (using my FEIN) at $9 a gallon case price but, I had to pay a hazard shipment fee too.

I've been using no-rinse and the 1-lb bag's been lasting a few batches. I'm not sure how much farther Star-San would go.

Mid-Country Malt has a 55 gallon drum of Star-san for $1532. Think that would be enough? If that's too much they also have 15, 5, 4, and 1 gallon sizes

I've been using no-rinse and the 1-lb bag's been lasting a few batches. I'm not sure how much farther Star-San would go.

What do you mean "1-lb bag"? The Star-san I have came in a 32oz bottle. As mentioned that should last you quite a while (though I mix up buckets full). Mine will probably last me 2-5 years.

$10 bucks for the 16 oz size.

1oz in 5 gallons. my last batch lasted me 8 brews. It would have lasted me longer but I didn't know in the beginning I could reuse it!

So, if I say 15 batches of beer, sanitized kegs, fittings, carboys, spray bottle fills, ect, per batch of starsan, then:
15 x 16 = 240 batches of beer, give or take.

I only brewed 8 batches last year, so that's about 30 years of brewing.

All for $10, or $.04 per batch.

I don't really need to store another gallon jug, either.

B

What do you mean "1-lb bag"? The Star-san I have came in a 32oz bottle. As mentioned that should last you quite a while (though I mix up buckets full). Mine will probably last me 2-5 years.
FYI: there is a group buy going on for the ChiTown locals HERE it works out to be $30 a gallon if we get a case :mug:

???????

Is this onestep you are talking about? For one thing starsans a liquid. And it is re-useable. Onestep and most other dry sanitizers (though technically One-step is not fda approved as a sanitizer btw) are not re-usable. With Starsan or Iodophor and RO water you can store it for a long time. Many of use store a small amount in a spray bottle.

I am quite wasteful with my star san(usually discard after use) and I have barely gone through half a 32fl. oz bottle in one year.

I'm seriously going to start saving and reusing from now on.

I am not sure of how I did it, but I found a second bottle of Starsan on my shelf, to go with the bottle that I had in my brewing tote. Now I have no idea how long this will last me. I normally make up 2 gallons using .5 ounce, and toss it when I'm done, except for topping off my spray bottle with fresh starsan just before I pitch it.

If I used distilled water and kept a jug of it for multiple uses instead of pitching it (and I am probably going to start going that) one bottle would last me YEARS!

If you are using the B-Brite, or 1-Step stuff, I highly recommend switching over to Starsan. It's awesome!

This is a slight hijack, but what type of container is everyone keeping their mixed starsan in? The last time I tried to store a batch of it I left it in a carboy and it left a nasty residue.

Yeah, a small bottle 9oz? costs around $11. That should last at least a year.

I store mine in the next bucket I plan to ferment in, transferring the bulk of it out just before filling from the boil kettle.

I use a 2 gallon garden sprayer to sanitize and to store the Starsan . I also have a qt in a spray bottle. The garden sprayer works great to sanitize the beer lines and taps no CO2 used.

This is a slight hijack, but what type of container is everyone keeping their mixed starsan in? The last time I tried to store a batch of it I left it in a carboy and it left a nasty residue.

Cornie Keg.....

Really glad I read this thread even if it was from 2009. I've been dumping my star san after 1 or 2 uses, and I thought that was pushing it! I didn't realize it would last so long!

Back