Star San and COVID-19?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosaicbrewer

Reaction score
Does Star San, properly diluted have an effectiveness on this bug going around? I have a half gallon of concentrate left and was wondering if I could use it around the house, as finding common cleaners is ridiculously difficult at this point. Google is failing me on this question and there are a lot of smart people here! Thanks in advance. -Marc

What good would sanitizing in your home do here? are you already carrying the virus into your home? That would mean your already infected right? Doesnt seem logical to me.

What good would sanitizing in your home do here? are you already carrying the virus into your home? That would mean your already infected right? Doesnt seem logical to me.
I would think sanitizing your home if you are infected would be for when you emerge from the illness. You would want to make sure it is gone as you move forward.

Not necessarily. Think about it this way: you can bring that virus into your home and transfer it to doorknobs, tap handles and light switches before you wash your hands. And if you are washing your hands when you come home you're not going to risk infection... until you touch one of those surfaces. Note: the virus stays alive up to three days on some surfaces.

Best practice is to sanitize high-touch surfaces regularly, particularly in busy households where people are in and out.

Is this a practice you do regularly? Any illness can be neutralized with a good sanitizer such as Starsan. As previously mentioned, you are only killing the bugs that you or someone in your home has already spread in your home. If this is your concern, then sure knock yourself out. If you are concern contracting the flu that someone in your home is actively carrying then I highly recommend doing this. If that isn't the case, then I think you are panicking.

Reposted from a thread on Milk The Funk...

COVID warning
If anyone is considering using their brewing sanitiser as hand sanitiser, please be aware that at least some brewing sanitisers are ineffective against viruses.
I've only looked at StarSan, which seems to be most like disinfectant III in this paper https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12540190 It was ineffective against the Hepatitis virus.
Instead, please wash your hands with soap. If you need hand sanitiser for while you don't have access to soap and water and cannot procure any, here are the WHO recommendations to formulate your own.
https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_Local_Production.pdf
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK144054/
For surfaces, bleach (4 tspn per L or quart) is also effective
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/cleaning-disinfection.html
EDIT: The point here isn't to provide general advice about sanitising COVID. Rather, just don't think your brewing no rinse sanitizers are substitutions for alcohol hand sanitiser. Some have mentioned they /may/ have some efficacy in a pinch, but much better to reply on hand washing

I would think sanitizing your home if you are infected would be for when you emerge from the illness. You would want to make sure it is gone as you move forward.
Your only contagious for so long. the virus you spread is dead on other surfaces by the time you have overcome this virus and your body makes antibodies against getting this again. Unlike some other viruses due to this living in the air for as long as it does, if one person in the house gets it everyone in the house will very likely get it quickly, sanitizing or not.. it only lives for so long on surfaces... (example stainless steel for a day) The dead virus is detectable on cardboard longer but its no longer harmful.

Latest posts

Back