Stalled ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calebawilson

Reaction score
I have a old ale going my SG was 1.096 I pitched wyeast 1028 it was very vigorous for first 2 days at 64 degrees then the krausen dropped and showed no signs of fermentation. I checked gravity its at 1.040 and has stayed there for 4 days. What are my options to try to get this beer below 1.030 atleast?

The recipe was 15 lbs marris otter and 9 oz specialty grain half pound of treacle. Made a liter and a half starter and the temp was steady.

Rehydrated a couple packs of dry yeast and pitch. You shouldn't get any bad flavors at this far along. You needed to pitch more yeast according to mr malty...

FULL recipe please not just the grain bill.... mash temps are very important in determining fermentability of a wort.

15 pounds marris otter
6 oz crystal 80
3 oz black patent
half pound treacle
mashed at 154
wyeast 1028 liter and a half yeast
1.25 oz horizon hops
fermented at 64 degrees constant

thanks. hmmm that mash temp sounds right. assuming you held at that temp you should be ok there. the fermentation temp might be a little low. most ales like about 68. but if your recipe says other wise please ignore. others are right one packet of yeast most likely wasn't enough. but by this point they have already multiplied to their final population. have you tried warming things up a few degrees? shaking the carboy? ... if you have and that hasnt worked you may want to add fresh yeast.

I have bumped the temp up to 68 I shook the carboy and I even sanitized a spoon and gently stirred the trub to try and wake the yeast up. What dry yeast should I use I've only ever used liquid?

Back