Stalled Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slobrien78

Reaction score
Started a Porter on the 19th of this month. The first day it showed a small amount of fermentation but not nearly what I would've expected. Then it stopped. No Krausen nothing. So, after 3 days pitched a second yeast to see if that would get it going but nothing happened. At day 5 with no activity checked the hydrometer reading and got a 1.020. This seems a bit high and it didn't change overnight. Other than the seeming lack of fermentation the beer looks and smells just fine. I am not sure why the second pitch of yeast didn't do anything at all. Please note that I missed out on getting an initial hydrometer reading so I have no idea how much it fell but the directions say that the expected beginning gravity is 1.043-1.045 and the expected final is 1.012-1.014. So, I was going to put some coffee beans into a secondary to get a nice coffee porter out of this but now I am nervous that this beer is not working. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Does the current reading indicate that maybe the beer fermented enough? Thanks for any input!!!
Stacey

1.02 is a bit on the higher end, but that's a common spot to stop at if you used extract. Depending on your recipe, your predicted FG may not be correct. If the gravity hasn't moved for a couple days, you're fine, go on to the next step.

SO it's a little high, but not at any point that you need to be concerned. A lot of my beers ended at 1.02, particularly my extracts no matter what I did, and they all came out just fine.

Back