Stainless Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daboyce67

Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing my first batch (just racked to the keg today). I used a glass carboy for both the primary and secondary. The primary took longer than I had read (at least two weeks for the kreusen to settle).

Which leads to my question - had the fermentation been in a stainless fermenter how would I have known when the kreusen had settled without access to a visible sign? To minimize exposure to potentially contaminating air and/or oxygen, I'd guess you don't want to continue to lift off the lid to take a look. Am I wrong?

I know my quick beers don't peak till about 8 weeks, because of that I go 14-21 days in primary then filtered to a co2 flushed keg with an oxygen scavenging solution. I've never had a krausen hold on for more than 14 days. Maybe that is different for your yeast strain or mash/hop bill.

If going stainless, why not give it the ole' patient technique let it sit 14-21 days before moving it.

But to answer your question, yes, opening the lid exposes you to oxygen. Subject for debate, potentially worse is to secondary when not needed. Secondary's don't always have a place and is a source for oxygen contact.

To reiterate, I can finish a beer in 4-7 days, move it from primary and be drinking it on day 7-14. Will it be good? Or let my beer condition in primary for 14-21 days and keg condition for 14-21 days. I know then it will be good and never have to worry about the krausen falling at that point, time did its work.

Not all beers fit this process, ex. high gravity, sours, 2x/3x/4x dry hopped beers, fruit additions, casked...

Which can happen before krausen is settled and before beer is conditioned. But of course always check sg.

Latest posts

Back