Stacking Temp Controllers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdr01

Reaction score
I ferment in a stand up freezer with one controller. The temp sensor is outside of the conical. I set the controller temperatures a few degrees colder than want fermenter to be. I do not use the thermowell because I do not want the freezer running single digits while cooling.
Does anyone run two controllers plugged into each other? One sensor in the thermowell and the other outside the fermenter is what I am thinking. This way I hope keep the freezer in the fifty degree range and not have it swing way below freezing.
Hope this makes sense.

What fermenter are you using ? You only need one temp controller , or at least I did when using a freezer. I put the probe inside a cup of water . When I ferment a lager I had the probe taped to the side of the carboy. I used a fermwrap to bump temp up for the rest . If you have a ss fermenter just use the thermo well port . I use it on my cf5 and its spot on.

Setting the freezer temperature setting to its lowest point and using the controller's hysteresis and delay settings will reduce over/under shooting your setpoint temperature. I use a digital thermometer to read the temperature inside the freezer and the controller probe inside the fermenter thermowell to read the beer temperature. My two six and a half gallon fermenters just fit inside the freezer. Having that much liquid mass in the freezer reduces the effect of ambient air temperature changes.

Spike CS15. Currently about 13 gallons of hefeweizen. I am just trying to make it more hands off. Not have to monitor as much. I have the probe in the freezer and separate thermometer in the thermowell. I will reverse it and see how it goes.
I did not consider the mass of the fermenter. I was worried about temperature swings but suppose it may not be too bad.
Thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Back