Stack-able Crate - Prototype Completed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrolight

Reaction score
Overview

Hello all,

I have searched all of the web looking for beer crates that are stackable and can hold the short chubby bottles AND longnecks... I have found many crates, some beautiful, some affordable and just many but they were all missing something...

Requirements:
Here was my requirement list:
- Must be under 10$ each.
- Must look like a traditional crate (rules out the solid walled box's some people call crates).
- Must hold 24 bottles of the short chubby bottles AND longnecks.
- Must be stack-able.
- Must be simple enough to make with a Black and Decker Matrix (only because that is what I own).
- Must be made of rot/pest resistant materials.

Cost Breakdown:
I achieved all requirements and the final cost comes to
$1.480 - Cedar Wooden Picket (3.5"x.5"x6') - x3 -- $ 5.92
$0.500 - Wood Glue (Estimate) ------------------ $ 0.50
$0.021 - 2.0" Outdoor Wood Screws - x72 ------- $ 1.51
Total ------------------------------------------ $ 6.45

Design:
So then I set out designing...

My inspiration came from here. But I don't have a table saw or we'll trained termites... so I needed a different, more simple design.

I know Solidworks so like any good engineer I made it in Solidworks first. The next few images show what I came up with.

I chose to offset the "flooring" to help prevent moisture build up in long term storage. Notice the corner offsets which allow the crate to stack.

There is enough separation to allow dividers to be placed. I intended to utilize cardboard. But since the crates are useful without the dividers that is a secondary priority and I will work on that when I have completed the other crates.

Note: I chose to make those offsets go up instead of down. This caused less stresses to exist in the wood according to Solidworks. When I had them down, the force from the crate and those stacked on top all focused on the four corners. Now its still mostly in the corners, but the sidewalls help spread it out.

Electrolight

Crate Diagonal Angle Lined.jpg

Crate Bottom View.jpg

Crate Filled with Bottles Wired.jpg

Then... I built the prototype...
Image 1: The piles of pieces cut out ready to be assembled.
Image 2: The crate bottom with the flooring and edges attached.
Image 3: The crate fully assembled awaiting payload.
Image 4: The crate filled with some empty bottles that were floating around.

All joints between any two boards utilized 2 screws and wood glue.

20140303_200106_HDR-1.jpg

20140304_193742-1.jpg

20140304_201708-1.jpg

20140304_202257_HDR-1.jpg

Remember...

Measure twice, cut once!

Also, pre-drill every hole and use a wallow bit so you don't crack when the conical screw top meets the wood.

Oh and the Cutlist:

You need 4 of each of the following boards.

Board 1: 15 23/32"
Board 2: 11 18/32"
Board 34: 10 16/32"
Board 5: 10 14/32"

Board 34 is made into boards 3 and 4 by cutting along the length. Make a line 2" from either edge of the board and cut down the middle of the line.

Crate Diagonal Angle Lined Numbered.jpg

This spot is reserved for images of multiple crates stacked and what have you.
I plan to do this this weekend once I build multiple crates assembly line style.

nice design. I will be giving this a shot when i get some time. I will prob be adding some rope or steel handles to aide in transportation though.

nice design. I will be giving this a shot when i get some time. I will prob be adding some rope or steel handles to aide in transportation though.

I considered that too Joe, but handles may make them not sit next to each-other snugly. And I actually found the top rectangle to be really easy to grab, not to mention very strong. So instead of cutting out a notch as a handle, I simply left it. That saved me work as well (though that wasn't the motive). If you do give it a shot, upload a picture or two :).

nice work

Thanks Panell77! :)

So as a testament to the crate's strength. Here is this photo. I am 6'6" and weight 260 lbs.

Not even a creak.

Please ignore the face... I had no idea what to do.

20140306_135342.jpg

Made a trip to the lumber yard today to give this a shot, and they didnt have the cedar pickets. They did have 1x4x16 in cedar and if my calculations are correct, there should be enough for one crate in a single stick.

n6p9ln9.jpg

Stackable Crates. I like it.

Nice! Seem pretty stable to me! Nice job!

Made a trip to the lumber yard today to give this a shot, and they didnt have the cedar pickets. They did have 1x4x16 in cedar and if my calculations are correct, there should be enough for one crate in a single stick.

So I calculate 16.0729'. Buttt since you can't fit 4 of the planks onto the floorboard, you would need 3 (which should work just fine, I considered only using 3 myself) and that will put you in the clear! Just don'e miss a cut! Or you'll wish you bought 2!

Oh I see. Well I know what alot of tools are and how to use them. But their names are do-dads and thing-a-mag-igs. So I just picked the shape that first came to mind. But now that you mention it... the box does say tapered... :D

That is correct. Though I am working on a 22oz bottle crate. I want them all to be able to stack together though... so the original ddimensions of the 12 oz crate may actually end up changing :/...

That would mean this one I made would be a one off. We'll see though. I haven't started the measuring or designing for that one.

well with one 16' stick of 1x4 rough cut cedar using a thin kerf blade I was able to squeeze out a single crate with about 1/2" to spare! test fit went together good, just need to glue and screw it together.

well with one 16' stick of 1x4 rough cut cedar using a thin kerf blade I was able to squeeze out a single crate with about 1/2" to spare! test fit went together good, just need to glue and screw it together.

Wow! Nice job! I made a few mis-cuts the first time. Definitely would not have been able to pull it off. I wanted to post the pictures of my finished crates after spring break... but the beer closet took so long all I could do was cut the wood for the crates :/

I made three of these today - for 22oz bombers - and changed the dimensions a bit.

Board 1 = 12"
Board 2 = 10 3/4"
Board 3&4 = 12"
Board 5 = 9 5/8"

They turned out well!

IMAG0143.jpg

Back