Crating Solution for my Bottle Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGish

Eternal Tinkerer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is my variation on the picket fence beer bottle crate.
There are quite a few threads with variations on this idea, but none of them were exactly what I wanted. I wanted something cheap, light protected, usable with a variety of bottle sizes, and stackable. Additionally, I wanted to be able to use, reuse, and / or replace the dividers at will. My wife receives a lot of cardboard boxes for her business and we have a child in diapers, so cardboard is readily available.

This is the mess I started with:
mVM0ef.jpg

Here is the a 2D model of my solution:
ivLqU8.jpg

I dadoed the base into the lower section then used glue and 1 1/8" screws for strength and stability.

I cut a pattern out of 1/8" plywood to create the dividers:
2yNdij.jpg

Here is a box with the plywood patterns and a pre-cutout divider replacement pack:
gVIZAt.jpg

Here is a look into the top of a box filled with 12oz bottles, stored upside down to keep dirt and dust out of them:
nRCawt.jpg

Here is a look into a box with flip top bottles and no divider (yes the cardboard came from a diaper box :) ):
iRa7lH.jpg

And this is the final result of my efforts:
20P3vG.jpg

Overall, I am very happy with the results. I have 30 crates that will hold 24 12 oz bottles, 13-14 flip top or 24 oz bottles, and they are protected and stack securely. I can slip a hand truck under each stack of six crates and move them as a unit if I need to.

30 crates required:

30 72" pickets @ $1.64
1.5 4'x8' sheet @ $13.97
2 1"x12"x6' boards @ $33.58
Misn glue and screws $15.00

Total: approximately $155.00 or $5.20 per box

I had the 1"x12" boards from several previous jobs, so that part was free to me. This made my cost a little less than $90.00, with some glue and screws, or about $3.00 per box.

If I needed to buy the 1"x12" boards, I might have purchased a 4'x8'x3/4" plywood sheet instead and cut my corner pieces out of the sheet. A sheet of 23/32 plywood is $24.58 at Lowes, so the total would have been $110.00 or $3.67 per box.

Back