SS Weld fittings for gas manifold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuckeredPenguin

Reaction score
I am in the process of single tier HERMS with a gas manifold built into the frame and my question is what type of SS fittings should I have welded on to the manifold? Just standard 1/2 NPT female or is there a specific type that will be better?

3 keggle, single tier, dual PID for HLT & MT temp control, LP gas fired.

Thanks

Nick:confused:

Think about the valves you intend to use and if you will need a fitting to mate to them. If you're using standard gas ball valves, they usually have 1/2" FPT on the inlet and so 1/2"MPT fittings welded to the manifold would be best. If you're going to use an automated valve or a second regulator that needs an adapter, figure out what adpater first, then weld the appropriate fitting to the manifold.

So... decide on the valves for your PIDs and have them in hand before you weld anything. Having everything up front keeps you from having to mish-mash couplers and fittings later.

I thought I was being so smart welding 1/2"MPT fittings into my beam only to find out that when I decided to use individual regulators for each valve that they were 1/4" FPT and I ended up having to use full couplers and then adapters to get it to connect. WOuld have been way cleaner had I just welded in 1/4" MPT fittings :(

Back