SS Mesh Basket + mash recirculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizz81

Reaction score
I'm looking at using a(n?) SS mesh basket in my RIMS keggle. I started with just a false bottom and a stand and had flow issues, and went to a BIAB and have been fine on flow rate since. I'm ditching the bags and looking at Utah Biodiesel / Arbor Fab-type options.

Wanted to see if anyone is recirculating in such a setup here, and if there are thoughts about 300 micron vs. 400 in such a setup. For reference I'm at about a .037 crush gap (except for wheat / rye which I will crush tight), and condition my grain.

I've got a 18" diameter mash tun with a false bottom that seals really well along the outside edge.
I placed a 240 micron stainless steel screen over the false bottom and do not have any flow issues as long as my grist is less than 25 lbs.
My flow rate is 0.5 gallons per minute.
My crush is a 0.035" gap with dry grain.

Thanks for the info!

It seems from what I can find on the voile on both Wilser and Brew Bags are effectively somewhere in the lower 200s micron range. Though to the eye the brew bag seems a bit more fine (and didn't seem to let any particulate matter through) where Wilser bags have let a tiny bit of particulate through into my wort. Haven't had flow issues with Wilser (even with a big 50% wheat wheatwine, etc), used a brew bag once and had one instance earlier in the mash where I had to lift and reseat and then it was fine.

I picked up a 300 micron basket from UBD that had solid sides except for the bottom 4 inches or so and had drainage issues. The flow couldn’t keep up. After that I picked up a standard basket from UBD at 400 micron and no solid sides and it’s been working like a charm.

Back