• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SS Hop Spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quik_sk8

Reaction score
Looking for a hop spider for my keggle after a bit of a boil incident entailing a side pickup and hop bag.

Thanks!

Awesome, that shouldn't be a problem to do! How well does the clamp hold the bag? When you use it with pellets do they get through at all?

Awesome, that shouldn't be a problem to do! How well does the clamp hold the bag? When you use it with pellets do they get through at all?

The clamp is just tightened down, and it holds the bag just fine. Until I bought this one, I had one made out of cPVC, with the same clamp and used it for years and years without the clamp failing.

Some pellets do get through a paint strainer bag but that doesn't clog my pump the way whole hops do! For pellets, I use a different bag. I bought it from WilserBrewer here on the forum. Here's the link to his bags: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=462759

He has fine mesh bags, so I bought a bunch of them. I have some for hops in the boil that fit the hops spider, some long and thin ones for dryhopping in the keg, and one for my mashtun. I liked them so much I bought a bunch for my cider press.

That's overkill for sure, but I really like his bags. The paint strainer bags at Lowe's work fine for most hops if you don't mind some pellet hops sludge, though!

Yooper, is it, as far as you can tell, the same tight fabric mesh that he uses for his BIAB bags?

Yooper, is it, as far as you can tell, the same tight fabric mesh that he uses for his BIAB bags?

Yes.

I was worried about the wort not being able to flow well through it in the boil, but it seems just fine for that and really contains far more gunk (the technical word for hop debris).

Yes.

I was worried about the wort not being able to flow well through it in the boil, but it seems just fine for that and really contains far more gunk (the technical word for hop debris).

:)

Thanks. That's very helpful. I thought of using a denser bag like the biab bag for hops but was worried about extraction or flow through for the hop oils. And don't confoose me with all those technical terms.

I forgot to toss in Irish moss the other day on my wheat beer, so I decided to 'filter' it but putting my Wilser hop bag on the end of the hose, and it really did the job. I kept quite a bit of the trub out just doing that. The mesh is tightly woven, and keeps the hops out too. I bought paint strainer bags but never used them - the weave is far more loose on those than a Wilser bag...

I do the hop spider with wiserbrewer's bags too. One time I misplaced the spider so I just used his hop socks, and tied the additions in the individual sock and threw them in.

I bought this http://www.morebeer.com/products/kettle-spider.html but its pretty expensive considering. I wish I would have taken the time to find a way to DIY...

But when you need it... it's a great choice for larger mouth kettles.

Back