SS Brewtech Conical Racking Arm Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chieftain

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished my first fermentation with a new Brewtech conical. Before cold crashing, I rotated the racking arm downward to avoid filling it with hops and yeast, then rotated it back up for transfer to keg. When I started pulling things apart to clean the conical, I found that that first o-ring on the racking arm had torn in half. I assume from the rotation prior to cold crash.

Anyone else encounter this? Perhaps I need to loosen the tri clamp more before attempting a rotation like that? I kept it fairly tight out of concern I'd break the seal and have beer everywhere.

The oring shouldn't tear because of the triclamp turning. It's free to turn in the hole.

The orings that are there, are small and easily damaged. Likely got torn but not noticed last time you cleaned it.

You can buy the rings from SS for about $5 for a ton of spares (like 10 sets or something).

AS long as you don't "disengage" the wingnut, the triclamp won't come apart.

Also, I use "hard" teflon gaskets on things I rotate while locked up.

The oring shouldn't tear because of the triclamp turning. It's free to turn in the hole.

The orings that are there, are small and easily damaged. Likely got torn but not noticed last time you cleaned it.

You can buy the rings from SS for about $5 for a ton of spares (like 10 sets or something).

AS long as you don't "disengage" the wingnut, the triclamp won't come apart.

Also, I use "hard" teflon gaskets on things I rotate while locked up.

Very helpful, thanks.

Back