SS Brewtech 5.5 gal Kettle Induction Burner Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melloworchard

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for some recommendations from you fine folks. I currently own a Mash & Boil, but I find myself only brewing 2.5 gallon batches. I'd like a nicer, smaller setup. And I also want my cleanup to be easier. I really like to get the 5.5 gallon SS Brewtech Kettle and would like to switch to induction brewing.

So my question is: Do you have any recommendations when it comes to an induction burner that works well with that kettle? It would have to be a 120V burner, by the way.

Also: Any recommendations when it comes to lifting out the grain bag with that kettle? Do you use a pulley or is there some kind of basket that fits that kettle?

Thank you very much!

MO

I'm in the market for a similar induction burner, if you end up finding a good one.

Based on my experience with the Avantco IC3500, I would buy their smaller IC1800 which is a 120V unit. I had a BrewBag made for my SS 5.5 gallon kettle. I also bought the NorCal false bottom for it.

I have a small pulley setup over my kettle, and it does come in handy for lifting and draining. Do you need it? No. You can put the bag on a colander, metal grate, or whatever. But the weight of the hanging bag does aid in draining a bit quicker.

Thank you for both replies. I ended up getting this $50 1800 W IKEA induction cooktop and I'm really happy with it: TILLREDA Portable induction cooktop, white - IKEA
I brewed on it for the first time this past weekend.
I also insulated my 5.5 kettle with Reflectix and used my BBQ thermometer to keep an eye on the mesh temp. It held the temperature perfectly, I didn't need to turn the burner on once during the mash.

Attachments

• IMG_5781.png
    IMG_5781.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 122
Yes, I have had a similar experience. My 5.5 has two layers of Reflectix, and I use a Bluetooth BBQ thermometer as well! It is remarkably stable. I run the heat and recirculate in order to reach strike temp, and bring it up to mash out, but don't really need to do anything during the sacch. rest itself. Not the most sophisticated rig perhaps, but very practical and it works without hassle.

Are SS Brewtech kettles induction compatible? I could not find anything to confirm that they are.

That was fast. $50 is a great price...how did the first brew go? Curious on timing for getting up to strike temp and then up to boil post-mash.

The SS Brewtech listing says right in the features that it's induction compatible: 5.5 gal | Brew Kettle Mini

Thank you for both replies. I ended up getting this $50 1800 W IKEA induction cooktop and I'm really happy with it: TILLREDA Portable induction cooktop, white - IKEA
I brewed on it for the first time this past weekend.
I also insulated my 5.5 kettle with Reflectix and used my BBQ thermometer to keep an eye on the mesh temp. It held the temperature perfectly, I didn't need to turn the burner on once during the mash.
@melloworchard - any update on timings with the TILLREDA?

I've been extremely pleased with the Duxtop 1800 watt 110v unit for 3-6 gallon batches. Must have brewed close to 20 batches with mine; I like them so much I got a second one for ~$50 on eBay. Now I can heat hot liquor for sparging and the runoff wort simultaneously.
Check out this new YouTube video for my system mounted on a custom-made three-tiered stand/cart!

It's a compact system that can be stored on the cart and even wheeled into a closet.IMG_5010.jpgIMG_5011.JPG
My kettles are a 7 gal TallBoy (Northern Brewer) and a GasOne 8 gallon which can be used for HLT, mash tun or boil kettle.

Latest posts

Back