Spunding valve questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfgrass

Reaction score
I want to try this for the first time and maybe use CBC-1 yeast to naturally carb.

Does it matter which side the spunding valve is attached?

What’s the best way to test the accuracy of the valve? Air hose attachment?

What’s the preferred method for attaching the valve to the in/out keg fitting? My spunding valve is connected to a tee that has a psi gauge and an available 1/4” spot available for the keg attachment.

Thanks in advance.

You definitely do not want to put a spunding valve on the beer post of a cornelius keg. It's be exciting, but wrong ;)
A 0-30 psi valve attached to the valve is quite handy, with the works attached to a gas QD.
This is an old picture of mine with a 60 psi gauge. Less handy...

spunding_valve_01.jpg

spunding_valve_02.jpg

Cheers!

You definitely do not want to put a spunding valve on the beer post of a cornelius keg. It's be exciting, but wrong ;)
A 0-30 psi valve attached to the valve is quite handy, with the works attached to a gas QD.
This is an old picture of mine with a 60 psi gauge. Less handy..

lol, okay attach the spunding to the gas in port and i'm guessing "QD" is short for quick disconnect. Any part numbers or links so I get it right? Here is what I have so far. The barb from the gas lock looks cheap or maybe they all look that way. Is the barb suppose to unscrew?

I plan on testing the spunding setup with an air compressor attachment unless you think otherwise? Thank you very much.

Attachments

• spund valve.JPG
    spund valve.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that should all be fine. You should only have gas going though them so it does not matter if they are brass or stainless steel. If you are fermenting in a 5 gallon keg make sure you don't put in any more than 4.5 gallons so you have head space.

In addition if you are looking for cheap spunding valves I would check Ali Express. I bought a few from here and they have been great: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Adj...889.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.33ee4c4dkpu88E

Back