Spruce beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Widukind

Reaction score
I understand that it used to be a big thing. I am interested in making some.

Is there anyone here who knows how to make spruce beer? I am brand new to brewing, so I am starting from a point of ignorance. Any advice would be appreciated.

One of our club members makes really good spruce beers by tossing a spruce branch in the boil.

I'm not joking.

Welcome to the party. A quick search of the recipe data base here returned 4 results. At least one is an extract recipe, so well suited to beginning brewers. Good luck!

Thanks for the input, guys.

I guess I should have just done a search on the topic, but I thought no harm would be done by starting a fresh discussion. I’ll be sure to try out the recipes here, including the one you posted, BowAholic.

I like the sounds of the “branch” technique. What with all the trees around here, I might have to give it a go!

temps are climbing where I am and I am watching the tips when I walk the dog. I am also getting ready to do my first Spruce Tip beer. My plan is to do a Pale Ale with spruce tip addition in the last 10 minutes of boil. NOt sure where you are but I am in the MidAtlantic so options are slim. make sure you chew a couple needles before deciding what to add. I found a stand near my house that has a nice lemony-pine taste last spring that I have my sights on this spring.

Not sure if you need to be a member to read this one but it definitely pushed me in the right direct (I think):

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=12141.0

temps are climbing where I am and I am watching the tips when I walk the dog. I am also getting ready to do my first Spruce Tip beer. My plan is to do a Pale Ale with spruce tip addition in the last 10 minutes of boil. NOt sure where you are but I am in the MidAtlantic so options are slim. make sure you chew a couple needles before deciding what to add. I found a stand near my house that has a nice lemony-pine taste last spring that I have my sights on this spring.

Not sure if you need to be a member to read this one but it definitely pushed me in the right direct (I think):

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=12141.0
Thanks for the advice and the link (it works for me). I’ll take a gander for spruce tips before long.

I am not far from Vancouver, BC, so things are a bit different here.

I was just talking today about a spruce tip recipe in, I think, the Joy Of Homebrewing book.

I used to have an old edition of it and I'm sure it had the recipe there. I have never tried it but I want to,one day.

Latest posts

Back