Sprinkler valve controlling water to rig??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodhi314

Reaction score
I'm building a brewtroller for my gravity fed system, and have a 'custom' PVC manifold that controls water during the day (to HLT or plate chiller mainly).

Part of the automation (thanks Kladue!) is to automate the HLT burner, in progress, which requires 24V - so I have this available already.

My question is:

Anyone ever tried a 24V sprinkler valve to control feed water? (they are about $12 and come in 3/4")

With the power supply and a switch I could control water to the HLT with one of these (specs say up to 150 psi - ground water about 50-70?)

What am I missing?

The sprinkler valve will work for cold water applications, if the size is not a problem for mounting go for it. With 50 psi water pressure you could get by with a 1/4" solenoid valve for HLT fill, the 3/4" will be a bit of challenge to guess correct lead time to shut off to hit water level.

The transformer I have says 24V 60Hz - AC voltage, its heavy but the same type used for HVAC applications.

Water pressure is not as much of as issue as controlling it, I'm only using ground water through carbon filter to HLT -- or to chill wort in recirc through a plate chiller.

I have some space to install it, so I'll make it a manual control from the box (I'm using the converted metal toolbox enclosure idea from here BK I think).

Back