Spot the Space Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1st Photo From Mars Lander.jpg

I'm still waiting for this to happen. ☝

With the, almost, complete lack of air pressure, I was surprised any lift could be generated. NASA obviously tested this on Earth first so had no doubt it would work. Looking forward to what lays ahead for the little one.

Right. There's lift from the props action on the atmosphere, vs the downward force from gravity.

Mars gravity is only 38% of earth's. But the atmosphere is less than 1% of earth's. SO, that makes it very difficult to get lift and to get off the ground. Large blades at a severe angle makes it possible I guess. And high speed.

Without an atmosphere, getting heat away from motors etc is quite problematic. A long time ago I used heat tubes filled with ammonia to do this. Interesting technology there.

It has been an impressive couple of weeks for man vs space it's getting harder to keep up :)
Next exciting episode will likely involve SpaceX's SN15 SN15 which did a test burn today.

Meanwhile, this is a for-real pic of Crew Dragon's ascent to its ISS rendezvous, taken from Bryson City in the Smokys.

1619562490450.png

That's nice, saw ISS go over whilst the Crew Dragon was about 20 km from ISS. Couldn't see the Dragon then but ISS bright.
Starlink less easy to spot these days.
Awaiting SN15 with much anticipation, no Fog this time I hope.

That's nice, saw ISS go over whilst the Crew Dragon was about 20 km from ISS. Couldn't see the Dragon then but ISS bright.
Starlink less easy to spot these days.
Awaiting SN15 with much anticipation, no Fog this time I hope.

Last I'd heard, SpaceX was working on moving the Starlink satellites into a higher orbit. That'll probably make the crew working the phones at the National UFO Reporting Center happy, since they're getting 100s of calls per day from people who are mistaking Starlink for UFOs passing overhead.

Very tiny aliens if they were hitchiking in that ball.
Well damn, thought for sure it was that soccer ball I kicked really hard one time as a kid and we lost track of it in the air. Thought for sure it hit outer space

The last speculative take I read was it was an ice chunk shed by the very same spacecraft. Which makes sense - the odds of something extraneous passing through that gap at that instant would be extraordinarily low...

Cheers!

Anyone remember the footage of what looked like a small rodent scurrying across the engine during one of the launches?

Couldn't have been if I kick a ball high it comes back with ice on it!
Trajectory was to low or not enough thrust.

The last speculative take I read was it was an ice chunk shed by the very same spacecraft. Which makes sense - the odds of something extraneous passing through that gap at that instant would be extraordinarily low...

Cheers!
I figured it was something along those lines for the same reason. It's pretty amazing to have that camera angle available so the public can witness the entire event.

Trajectory was to low or not enough thrust.

I figured it was something along those lines for the same reason. It's pretty amazing to have that camera angle available so the public can witness the entire event.

Anytime something strange pops up on a NASA live stream, they have a tendency of shutting the video stream down, which only adds fuel to all crazy conspiracy theories on the internet.

Anytime something strange pops up on a NASA live stream, they have a tendency of shutting the video stream down, which only adds fuel to all crazy conspiracy theories on the internet.
Hah, I know. I used to immediately dismiss them without a second thought as space junk. The navy releasing the video of the UFO and that damn Joe Rogan doing Cmdr. Fravor and Bob Lazar interviews have me making some nifty tin foil hats.

Hah, I know. I used to immediately dismiss them without a second thought as space junk. The navy releasing the video of the UFO and that damn Joe Rogan doing Cmdr. Fravor and Bob Lazar interviews have me making some nifty tin foil hats.

If half of what either Fravor or Lazar ever said in interviews was even remotely true, the powers that be would have had them silenced years ago.

Took a few tries but SpaceX finally landed a Starship (15) and it still hasn't blown up (though at this moment it's still smoking).
Launch is at 6:30 in this video...

Did not see the flip. Too bad, that'd be cool...

Cheers!

Took a few tries but SpaceX finally landed a Starship (15) and it still hasn't blown up (though at this moment it's still smoking).
Launch is at 6:30 in this video...

Did not see the flip. Too bad, that'd be cool...

Cheers!

Didn't see any space rats hitching a ride on this one. 😏

That is so cool. We've yet to see that - weather seems agin' it here.
Also, not apparent SpaceX's "starry sky" mitigation efforts are working.
Knew it wasn't yours because I don't think Oregon has gone full-on tropical jungle quite yet, climate change or not :D

As mundane as Starlink deployment missions have become, occasionally the video downlink during landings works really well and lends to the spectacle.
Check this out at 20 minutes in. You can actually make out the drone ship name "Of Course I Still Love You"...

Cheers!

Skip to 27:30 and you will observe what I am pretty sure is the best video'd landing of a single Falcon 9 booster ever.
Crazy cool! It just makes me giggle it was so perfect :D

Cheers!

They didn't have any space rats hitching a ride on the booster this time around did they?

Just watched a bit of the SS zipping across my sky (was going to be a long transit, but mostly obscured by clouds (ooh I wanna go Pink Floyd now).

If any of you cats like to read sci fi, check out Project: Hail Mary. Man that's just the ****. Author is guy who wrote The Martian. Can't say he stuck the landing on this one, but I was not disappointed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GB58KD5/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_2NMBQRPVGM60SFEWZJHY

End of transmit.

Spotted the starlink satellites. Saw a small string about 9:15 and the about 5 minutes going in another direction about 40. Not my video but was similar.

I got to see them one night in May. The neighbor was helping me put up a large outdoor tent and he looked up and freaked out a bit. I think he thought nuclear war had come and we were all toast. I got really excited and told him I had been hoping to catch the starlink satellites some night and he was very relieved, and also thought it was cool. He had never heard of them.

I got to see them one night in May. The neighbor was helping me put up a large outdoor tent and he looked up and freaked out a bit. I think he thought nuclear war had come and we were all toast. I got really excited and told him I had been hoping to catch the starlink satellites some night and he was very relieved, and also thought it was cool. He had never heard of them.

Haven't spotted a Starlink train in my neck of the woods, but have seen the ISS quite a few times, weather permitting.

Back