Split batch yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastluvr

Reaction score
I'm making 5 gallons of cranberry wine. I crushed up 20 lbs cranberrys, put in 10 lbs sugar, some raisins, pectic enzyme, campden, 1/2 of the yeast energizer it called for and some champagne yeast.

Problem is there too many berries and not enough room for liquid in my 7.5 gallon fermenter. My plan is to ferment what I have in now, probably 3 gallons or so of liquid for 5 days, then add more sugar, water and the rest of the energizer, after I pull the berry bags out. My SG now is only 1.085 so when I add more sugar water I want to boost it up accordingly. Has anyone ever ran into this problem and if so, do you need to add a second pack of yeast at that point or is my first innoculation enough.

When you pull the berries out, you'll have lots more room in your carboys to add more liquid if you want. Rack OUT of the bucket when the SG hits 1.010-1.020 in order to prevent oxidation.

The first amount of yeast is sufficient.

Latest posts

Back