Split a brew day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dslater

Reaction score
Hello -

I wanted to brew this weekend but can't due to rain.
I will have some time later in the week to brew but won't have time to do both the mash and the boil.

I am thinking about doing my mash on Sunday and storing the wort in a covered plastic bucket until I can boil later in the week.

Has anyone attempted this ?
Any words of advice?

For what it's worth, I'll be brewing an American Wheat.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I wouldn't do that; grain (and therefore wort) is loaded with lactobacillus. Unless you're planning a sour beer, that is.

You could try bringing the wort to a boil first, before storing. That might prevent souring. Of course, if you're bringing it to a boil anyway, I guess you might as well finish it so that's not a very good suggestion after all. :eek:

Hmm Sour Dough Wheat, might be something to try ...

Thanks for the quick response.

+1 to bringing it to boil, then pouring the boiling wort into a bucket. I make wort for yeast starters this way and put them in apple cider jars with the suction top. Works fine.

However, don't you think the combination of time and temperature of mashing is approaching pasteurization?

I still think bringing to boil is better because then you can be sure the hot wort will sanitize whatever bucket you put it in.

I wound up doing the full brew on Sunday. The rain that they predicted for the weekend stopped by Sunday morning. Mashed in the kitchen and did the boil outside. The air locks are happily bubbling!

I've done this twice with no problems.Mash one night after work, catch my runnings in buckets, boil teh next night after work. Did it on a mild and on a Scottish 60/

bump for similar question:

As long as I remove my biab grain bag from the wort after mashing before it cools, could I just leave my mashpot in the oven where I mashed, and start the boil a few hours later?

I have mashed on one day, collected runnings in my brewpot, covered, and boiled the next day a few times, and so far I have always had good results. As a family man, its alot easier for me to slink away for a couple hours on Saturday and Sunday to brew, rather than spend 6 hours at once. I think the key to this, however, is being able to boil the next day. For the reason mentioned above (lactobacillus), I would be really hesitant to try and wait any longer to boil.

Back