Splicing Liquid Lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runyanka

Reaction score
I currently have two kegs, each with 5ft of 3/16" dia liquid line ending in a cobra picnic tap. Needless to say I am having major foaming issues. My question is this; could i splice my liquid lines with this instead of taking off the 5' and replacing it with one 10' line? I didn't know if the splice piece would do more harm than good. :mug:

Not 100% sure, but i would think it would cause turbulence in the line and wouldnt resolve any of the foaming issues.

My first instinct is to say no. I don't keg myself, but from what I've seen and learned in some classes, that changing the beer velocity in the line (going from small, to large, then back to small diameter line) and having those unions in between will make for too much turbulence in the beer on it's way to the tap, which is would only make foaming worse.

I currently have two kegs, each with 5ft of 3/16" dia liquid line ending in a cobra picnic tap. Needless to say I am having major foaming issues.

Sigh, your foaming issues are probably not the fault of the lines. My 5 ft. beer line pours perfectly every time. Probably a carbonation, temp, or something else issue.

Post specifics on your set up.

Sigh, your foaming issues are probably not the fault of the lines. My 5 ft. beer line pours perfectly every time. Probably a carbonation, temp, or something else issue.

Post specifics on your set up.

kinda wondering the same. i have 5ft lines that came with my midwest kit and they pour just fine.:tank:

I have a line spliced with no ill effects, I used a 1/4" nylon splice from the hardware store, this way the ID does not change much, I warmed the hose ends to help them slip over the barb easier.
But like wildwest said, the foam is probably something else. Long lines do solve problems for many situations, though. My lines are 8'.

Since you're using picnic faucets, one trick is to hold it up a foot or two higher as you're pouring. Also, don't half open the faucet, you have to crank it.

I wouldn't immediately call a foamy pour on 5' of line "user error" because I personally hate serving beer at less than 45F. At that temp, I tend to run 14-15psi and that's not going to pour through 5'.

Since you're using picnic faucets, one trick is to hold it up a foot or two higher as you're pouring. Also, don't half open the faucet, you have to crank it.

I wouldn't immediately call a foamy pour on 5' of line "user error" because I personally hate serving beer at less than 45F. At that temp, I tend to run 14-15psi and that's not going to pour through 5'.

Correct, my fridge is set at around 40 degrees and I used the "set it and forget it" method of carbing, where I set my regulators at 12 psi for roughly two weeks. I do open the taps completly when pouring, it just seems to foam quit a bit, were not talking a whole glass of foam, but for a 22oz pilsner glass, I will have roughly 4-5 inches of foam after the pour. Hope this helps.

Easy fix: add more line, which adds more resistance. Is the foam less on your second consecutive pour? If so that can mean the lines and or faucet are too warm.

you could use a barbed union, or just a piece of 1/4" od stainless or whatever pipe.

I personally hate serving beer at less than 45F. At that temp, I tend to run 14-15psi and that's not going to pour through 5'.

i am thinking 40F beer temp when i build a keezer... too cold takes a long time to enjoy!

Back