Splenda Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ribbon

Reaction score
back sweetening question using splenda.
My LHBS said he uses 1 cup per 2 gallons. This seems like A LOT to me. Anybody have any comments on this? I was thinking 1 cup per 5 gallons... not sure though

One cup per two gallons would turn it into cider soda, he must have a sweet tooth.
1/4 a cup for 5 gallons would be highly noticeable but maybe I'm just sensitive to the taste. Really, start off with a little and sample it.

Way too much. Straight sucralose is 600 times as sweet as sucrose. If you are looking at the granulated version, it is approximately as sweet per volume as sucrose. A cup in two gallons would be about 2.5%, definitely soda level.

I feel the need to share a story here.
I decided to make a 5 gallon batch of cream of 5 crops ale, the 5th element was to be sugar.
I grabbed a container that I thought was cane sugar, took out a pound and added it to my boil.
Two weeks later when I racked at a perfect 1.002 SG, I tasted the sample and spit it out.
I had created soda beer. Wondering WTF was this Cr.. I pulled out what I thought was a sealed container of sugar and realized it was a "splenda blend" half sugar, half splenda.
So roughly 1 1/2 cups of splenda turned a fine, light, high ABV beach beer into a soda.
A few people have tried it and liked it, most real beer drinkers spit it out.
Use splenda with extreme caution. I'm thinking its a sweetener of mass destruction.
In any case that is my confession of one of my many "OMG" mistakes. Hopefully someone will learn from it.

Not to go way off the deep end here, but I make a lot of koolaid, and I use 2 cups of Splenda in a gallon of that. Yes, that is really sweet, but isn't that the point of making Koolaid ?

I would think it is a personal preference thing. I just finished off 5 gallons of cider that I had backsweetened with 1.75 pounds of Dememera sugar. Yeah, it was pretty sweet, but not overly sweet.

I also just kegged a 5 gallon batch of plain cider with nothing but some yeast nutrient and cider yeast added. I put 1 pound of table sugar, disolved in 2 cups of the cider, into the keg and racked the rest of the 5 gallons on top of that. I didn't taste it, but that's the great thing aout this hobby, if it's not quite right, you can always add more to it or just drink it and make the adjustments the next time around.

:)

To be safe, I like to just bottle the cider normally, and then add Splenda at drinking time. Two reasons for this.

1) You can give the cider to others with varying sweet-tooths, and everyone'll be happy. (This is a big one for me - I make my cider in huge batches with my roommates, and we all have very different sweetness preferences!)

2) You mess up and add too much, you've totaled 12 oz of cider - not 5 gallons.

3) Cider is some unpredictable stuff. It can taste completely different from one week to the next at the beginning of its aging, and from one month to the next later on. What seems like it needs sweetening now may not at all in a few months time - and you'll feel real silly if a perfectly-aged cider has become perfectly-aged alcoholic soda pop because you added Splenda to the level that tasted right when you were bottling, and sampled your fermentey, yeasty, green brew!

Latest posts

Back