"Spike Your Juice"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if I'm disgusted because I didn't think of it first, or that people actually do this.
Disgusted, yes...nearly ready to close this thread already. We don't do hooch here.

What yeast would they use, and how do they explain the inevitable diarrhea that comes from drinking live yeast?
They'll likely use bread yeast, though wine yeast would be better. How do you figure live yeast gives you the runs? Unless you filter your homebrew, it contains live yeast as well. Consuming a lot of live yeast may lead to gas or other digestive irritations, but this stuff won't contain much more yeast than the average homebrew.

I hope the instructions point out that any juice with preservatives in it is going to smell AWFUL!
Ummm...no. It just won't ferment.

Wow- I wish I would have thought of that! Since I make wine out of Welch's, you'd have thought I would have come up with this idea way before "spike" did!

KIT” $9.99
• 6 Packets
• 6 Bottle Labels
• 1 Airlock
• 1 Rubber Stopper
• Instructions & Fun Recipes
* Makes "SIX" 64 oz bottles *
juice not included

Wow- one airlock, stopper, and 6 little packets of sugar and yeast for $10! They sell a kit of 12 for only $100! Here are the ingredients in a "kit": Ingredients: Our proprietary yeast blend, organic evaporated cane juice, emulsifier
Wow- $1 worth of "stuff" plus a $1 airlock, all for $10?

I totally missed my calling!

Sorry to be sarcastic- but that's ridiculous. I guess you could add a package of yeast to kool-aid and have as good as a drink as their $9.99 kit gives. That doesn't mean it will be good- it means it will have alcohol. And comparing their cheap kit to federwasser is almost funny!

Two mods in a semi-hooch thread, and no lock? wow....

Yooper - I haven't made your Welch's recipe, but I have had pretty good luck with a similar white grape & raspberry concentrate wine.

Two mods in a semi-hooch thread, and now lock? wow....

Yooper - I haven't made your Welch's recipe, but I have had pretty good luck with a similar white grape & raspberry concentrate wine.

Maybe that's why I'm a little sensitive about snarky remarks concerning cheap wine. You can make a nice dinner wine out of good juice and some wine yeast, with decent winemaking techniques. I've used apple juice (as have many of the apfelwein fans), grape juice, pineapple juice, etc, and made some very good wines! But the whole "balloon airlock" and hooch threads give it a bad name.

No hooch threads are allowed here- there are other places to learn about pruno. But there are resources here for those who want to make a nice, drinkable wine out of supermarket ingredients.

how is apfelwein not considered "hooch" if youre calling this kit hooch? Juice + sugar + wine yeast. not a flame, just curious as to what is "hooch"

I would bet that this "kit" doesn't have wine yeast. Even if it does, bragging about how alcohol is made in 24 hours (not about the quality of the beverage) pushes it over the edge. The kit also encourages you to drink it fast, and make sure you keep the lid off so it doesn't explode!

We're about quality beverages here. Not a quick way to make cheap alcohol. There are plenty of places on the internet to find ways to make cheap high alcohol beverages. This is NOT that place.

I doubt anyone on here has enough money to get me to drink some, but does this mean that my apfelwein that has been fermenting for 3 days has alcohol already???? wow 48hours sounds WAY to early, if I wanted to get drunk that quick I would just go to 7-11 and buy some 9-11

I had OZ Tops, way more clever. You ferment in a 2 liter bottle and the caps would release pressure at predetermined levels. There was low medium and high carbonation levels based on which cap you used. At least they actually invented something.

-OCD

how is apfelwein not considered "hooch" if youre calling this kit hooch? Juice + sugar + wine yeast. not a flame, just curious as to what is "hooch"

you could make the argument that in it's simplest form (apple juice + sugar + wine yeast) apfelwine could be hooch.

However, when you take the next steps - corn sugar instead of table sugar; fermented until clear - which is usually 6 plus weeks; and proper aging - for me, it's about a year; apfelwein becomes a tasty well made beverage.

I would bet that this "kit" doesn't have wine yeast. Even if it does, bragging about how alcohol is made in 24 hours (not about the quality of the beverage) pushes it over the edge. The kit also encourages you to drink it fast, and make sure you keep the lid off so it doesn't explode!

We're about quality beverages here. Not a quick way to make cheap alcohol. There are plenty of places on the internet to find ways to make cheap high alcohol beverages. This is NOT that place.

exactly - you can make lots of alcoholic drinks using "quality" ingredients (malt, grape juice, etc) in a short amount of time - but the result isn't "quality"....

you could make the argument that in it's simplest form (apple juice + sugar + wine yeast) apfelwine could be hooch.

However, when you take the next steps - corn sugar instead of table sugar; fermented until clear - which is usually 6 plus weeks; and proper aging - for me, it's about a year; apfelwein becomes a tasty well made beverage.

exactly - you can make lots of alcoholic drinks using "quality" ingredients (malt, grape juice, etc) in a short amount of time - but the result isn't "quality"....

I agree.

This "crap" kit is almost marketed in my opinion to underage kids. Look at the colors on the website!

Here's how I do it.

1) Buy Orange Juice
2) Buy Vodka
3) Mix them together and BAM your juice is SPIKED

To adjust the alcohol level and flavor simply increase the amount of alcohol poured into juice, I know I'm probably the smartest and most creative drink creator you've ever listened to, I'll just say your welcome ahead of time.

Yeah but how are underage kids supposed to get vodka? Watch the media pick up on this and we'll all have to show id to buy brewing supplies...

I wasn't suggesting anyone buy this product. I have as much hate as anyone that this is even offered.

I second Half-Pints thoughts: This product is totally for kids to procure alcohol. The poor morans!

My apologies for introducing a hooch thread.:(

I just stumbled on this thread and am intrigued by this product . . and especially the concept of federweisser in general. But I really can't understand the fuss everyone is raising. I make apfelwein and beer, and I don't see how this is much different.

Someone mentioned that with apfelwein its aged to clarity and that makes it somehow superior to federweisser. But the point of federweisser appears to be that you are drinking a live fermenting product and the intent is that you want it to continue to ferment until you are finished drinking it. Others guessed that they were using bread yeasts or table sugar, but I don't see anything to suggest that that's true. Maybe it's the idea that people are fermenting in smaller bottles compared to our 5 gallon carboys? But then this stuff is meant to be consumed within days of making it, so making a big batch doesn't make sense. Note that almost everything I know about federweisser is from Wikipedia, so who knows if my impressions are correct http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federweisser

Frankly, if I saw a thread in the cider or wine forums here with a recipe for "Man, I love Federweisser!" and people jumped in and made 15,000 gallons of the stuff, it wouldn't seem the least bit out of place.

There's no question that this is marketed towards underage kids. To be honest, though, I'd rather have my kids playing with stuff like this rather than snorting dustoff or messing around with any of the other stupid crap that kids have figured out "gets you high".

I just stumbled on this thread and am intrigued by this product . . and especially the concept of federweisser in general. But I really can't understand the fuss everyone is raising. I make apfelwein and beer, and I don't see how this is much different.

Someone mentioned that with apfelwein its aged to clarity and that makes it somehow superior to federweisser. But the point of federweisser appears to be that you are drinking a live fermenting product and the intent is that you want it to continue to ferment until you are finished drinking it. Others guessed that they were using bread yeasts or table sugar, but I don't see anything to suggest that that's true. Maybe it's the idea that people are fermenting in smaller bottles compared to our 5 gallon carboys? But then this stuff is meant to be consumed within days of making it, so making a big batch doesn't make sense. Note that almost everything I know about federweisser is from Wikipedia, so who knows if my impressions are correct http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federweisser

Frankly, if I saw a thread in the cider or wine forums here with a recipe for "Man, I love Federweisser!" and people jumped in and made 15,000 gallons of the stuff, it wouldn't seem the least bit out of place.

Oh, federweisser is great! It's a nice drink, and I've enjoyed it when I lived in Germany.

No one is dissing federweisser- we're dissing the comparisions made in the ad between a "kit" marketed to kids and federweisser. Their own website makes the comparison, not us.

There is nothing wrong with taking some juice and making wine. We've been doing it for centuries, and usually get good results. The whole premise of "spike your juice" just smacks of hooch-making kids sticking it under their bed to hide it from their parents.

Yeah but how are underage kids supposed to get vodka? Watch the media pick up on this and we'll all have to show id to buy brewing supplies...

I watched my local Homebrew shop ID for a extract beer kit. Not a bad idea IMO. Keeps our hobby safe from unneeded government intervention.

I did something like this with leftover yeast just to see what would happen. I dumped some leftovers into a bottle of gatorade. There was almost no alcohol in the gatorade when it was done (i was actually mostly just trying to make gatorade soda, so this was good) and there was a horrible salty flavor.

As terrible as it sounds, If i hadnt forgotten about the gatorade and put it in the fridge as soon as it carbonated it would have turned out pretty well. Maybe i could sell a product called soda your juice.

It's an ill wind that blows nobody good. If it weren't for Spike Your Juice I might never have heard about zweibelkuchen. The federweisser I can take it or leave it, but the zweibelkuchen, I've got to try me some of that. (check out the wikipedia link)

No bodys talken about prison fermentation, or bathtub gin.

This "Spike" thing IS; desingenuine, explotative marketing. Charging someeone $10 bucks for something you can get for $2 is sleazy. Genius on par with the "Pet Rock", but scuzzy none the less.

petrock.jpg

This has been around for a number of years, every now and then gizmodo or some media site stumbles on it, and we get a bunch of threads about it. This is at least the second of third thread in the last 7 days...and at least the 10th since I've been a part of this forum. Old news......

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/e683/

DIY Juice to Alcohol Kit

* With this kit and a 64oz bottle of juice, you'll be able to enjoy a sparkling, alcoholic beverage in 48 hours.
* Science causes the yeast in the kit to turn the fructose in the juice into alcohol and carbonation.
* Juice not included.
* Alcohol Content: once it has sat 48 hours, alcohol content can reach 14 percent.
* Includes: 6 yeast packets, 6 bottle labels, 1 airlock, 1 rubber stopper, and fun recipes.
* Ingredients: yeast, organic evaporated cane juice, emulsifier.
* Net Wt.: each packet contains 1g (0.035oz) of magic.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/e683/

DIY Juice to Alcohol Kit

* With this kit and a 64oz bottle of juice, you'll be able to enjoy a sparkling, alcoholic beverage in 48 hours.
* Science causes the yeast in the kit to turn the fructose in the juice into alcohol and carbonation.
* Juice not included.
* Alcohol Content: once it has sat 48 hours, alcohol content can reach 14 percent.
* Includes: 6 yeast packets, 6 bottle labels, 1 airlock, 1 rubber stopper, and fun recipes.
* Ingredients: yeast, organic evaporated cane juice, emulsifier.
* Net Wt.: each packet contains 1g (0.035oz) of magic.

Dude, science, fun , and magic are included, all for just $10. Why have I spent $100's even $1000's of dollars on homebrew equipment again.:fro:

I bought this. In fact, googling it is what brought me to this thread (and website). It's my first time fermenting anything so I think it's pretty cool. I don't expect to be turning juice into Dom Perignon, but it's a fun way to get started on home brewing. As for people saying this is for kids, it says "MUST BE 21 TO PURCHASE" right on the box. And for something that kids could easily buy elsewhere, that's good enough for me.

You guys might not like this product, but then again it isn't meant for you. In retrospect, could I have gotten the same thing from a local shop at a cheaper price? Yes. Would I have gotten it? No. So it's worth the premium to me. And if it gets new people into home brewing, isn't it good for the community?

...You guys might not like this product, but then again it isn't meant for you. In retrospect, could I have gotten the same thing from a local shop at a cheaper price? Yes. Would I have gotten it? No. So it's worth the premium to me. And if it gets new people into home brewing, isn't it good for the community?

well played, indiv, well played.
welcome to the forum.

Science causes the yeast in the kit to turn the fructose in the juice into alcohol and carbonation.

Wait a frekin minute.....

I thought the yeast's insatiable hunger for fructose turned the juice into alcohol an co2...not science.

So does that mean that's it's not gravity that causes object to fall, but science as well?

Damn that science sure gets around.

ItsScience.bmp

Two mods in a semi-hooch thread, and no lock? wow....

AZ_IPA - Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm interested in this white grape and rasberry concentrate wine.........care to share a recipe?

I bought this. In fact, googling it is what brought me to this thread (and website). It's my first time fermenting anything so I think it's pretty cool. I don't expect to be turning juice into Dom Perignon, but it's a fun way to get started on home brewing. As for people saying this is for kids, it says "MUST BE 21 TO PURCHASE" right on the box. And for something that kids could easily buy elsewhere, that's good enough for me.

You guys might not like this product, but then again it isn't meant for you. In retrospect, could I have gotten the same thing from a local shop at a cheaper price? Yes. Would I have gotten it? No. So it's worth the premium to me. And if it gets new people into home brewing, isn't it good for the community?

I have to agree with what Indiv mentions, I am just now getting into brewing. My buddy brewed his first beer batch a few months ago, and I picked up the groupon beer kit as my starter kit. While googling for additional information i came across the spike your juice kits, and said what the heck and grabbed a couple. I'm at the point where any experience to any fermentation process will provide value to me. I alsow would rather ruin a few batches of this, than ruin my first batch beer 8)

Latest posts

Back