Spike TC Blow-Off Cane Stabilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikolnikov

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has a recommendation for how to stabilize the TC blow-off cane? I have a butterfly valve connected to the end of mine, but it is incredibly wobbly. I have to hold the cane with one hand while opening/closing the valve, which is no big deal. But, I have been trying to come up with a permanent solution for stabilizing it, similar to the way SS Brew Tech's blow off canes are permanently attached.

Thanks!

First: I don't have one. But; It sounds like you have a valve at the bottom end... is there any reason you can't mount it to the top where there's a fixed base?

Yes, you're 100% correct. I could do that, and ultimately may end up doing so. But, given that home brewing is (at least to me) also a journey in creative engineering, I'm curious if someone has solved this issue. Thanks for the reply!

Does it have legs?

20230410_132445.jpg

There we go! That's pretty much what I was looking for. Yes, it has leg extensions. Was the part that hold the blow-off cane to the leg custom made?

What size CF do you have? I noticed that even on the short CF5, the TC of the cane barely comes close to the leg. I don't have a CF10 or 15 out of the box at the moment but I would take a guess that the cane TC doesn't come anywhere near the legs.

I make this TC clamp with a welded M8 nut on it and if it was low enough on the leg, you could drill a through hole and put in an M8 bolt from the back side into the clamp and it would be perfect. You can see though that there' no clearance behind the leg for that. This is the CF5. It would PROBABLY work if you put it on the clamp on the lower side of your valve and if the valve is narrow enough to clear the leg in this close position.

1681223181115.png

What size CF do you have? I noticed that even on the short CF5, the TC of the cane barely comes close to the leg. I don't have a CF10 or 15 out of the box at the moment but I would take a guess that the cane TC doesn't come anywhere near the legs.

I make this TC clamp with a welded M8 nut on it and if it was low enough on the leg, you could drill a through hole and put in an M8 bolt from the back side into the clamp and it would be perfect. You can see though that there' no clearance behind the leg for that. This is the CF5. It would PROBABLY work if you put it on the clamp on the lower side of your valve and if the valve is narrow enough to clear the leg in this close position.

Thanks, Bobby! This is perfect. Yes, there is little clearance on the CF10. It looks exactly like what you have in your pic. You said you make this? Am I able to purchase on brewhardware.com?

By the way, I love your products!

Back