Spike Flex mod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hootowl

Reaction score
20200225_185414.jpg
20200225_185427.jpg
20200225_185433.jpg
Bought 2 Flex units. Decided to upgrade the blow off port by welding a 1.5 ferrule to the lid. Bought some 1.5 cutout flanges and opened them up with the correct taper for a 5 bung. I think it's a 5 or 5.5. Now I can put the airlock on or the manifold to pressure transfer. Found out the Flex lid is really weak and barely can do 1 psi. I didn't do this to make it a pressure lid.

Last edited:
What benefit doest the weld serve? the lid still isnt designed for pressure as is. The manifold is nice nut is pretty useless with this setup. You could accomplish a low pressure transfer with a $15 TC/ball lock fitting. The Flex is in essence a fancier, better built brew bucket that if you want to pressure ferment is only worthwhile if you dont have the space for a unitank.

The lid with the clamps is like all clamped lids and is not designed for pressure. If you wanted a pressure capable uint you should have purchased the 15 psi pressure capable setup or just bought a spike CF5 which is more bang for your buck.

I have been drinking and am not trying to come off like an ass btw. I own several CF5's and love spikes stuff but the Flex is just weird to me because to make it truly sweet you are getting into the conical price range.

Yeah, that’s not the pressure lid, which is why it won’t hold pressure.

I don't like the sheet metal hole for the bung. This is the worst part of the design. Spike advertises pressure transfer capability on the Flex but I don't see how the bung stays put when pressure transferring. Spike provides no instructions on how to pressure transfer though. I assume you would need to purchase a triclamp fitting for the side port but you still need to control the gas. 0thers reported the bung comes out under transfer pressure so I decided to go this route.

The triclamp ferrule was $3.95. The 1.5 end cap was $4.66. Triclamp was $5.84. Total cost $15.32
I work next to a couple of welders and I'm a machinist.
So for $16 bucks I eliminated the sheet metal hole and made it a very useful interchangeable triclamp fitting. I bored out the end cap to the 8 deg taper for a bung.

You are correct, this lid will not hold any pressure above 1 or 2 psi. I tested it. The lid lifts between the clamps at about 2 psi. You don't even need a relief valve but there is one on the gas manifold. I also re-calibrated the 15 psi relief valve to about 5 psi by machining the dimple away to allow adjustment. I use it because it has a blow off pin. When I'm done I can release any leftover pressure.

I also purchased the gas manifold bundle which was $75. That doesn't come with either the Flex or the Flex+. 0nly need one because I can put it on either tank when I need it.

I won't be doing force carbonating because I force carb in the corny in the fridge after the pressure transfer. This means I don't need a pressure lid. Would be a waste of money.

Spike Flex $250
Spike Flex+ $375

I got $270 in my flex as shown in the pictures.... manifold is an option.

Last edited:
What benefit doest the weld serve? the lid still isnt designed for pressure as is. The manifold is nice nut is pretty useless with this setup. You could accomplish a low pressure transfer with a $15 TC/ball lock fitting. The Flex is in essence a fancier, better built brew bucket that if you want to pressure ferment is only worthwhile if you dont have the space for a unitank.

The lid with the clamps is like all clamped lids and is not designed for pressure. If you wanted a pressure capable uint you should have purchased the 15 psi pressure capable setup or just bought a spike CF5 which is more bang for your buck.

I have been drinking and am not trying to come off like an ass btw. I own several CF5's and love spikes stuff but the Flex is just weird to me because to make it truly sweet you are getting into the conical price range.

Do you use the 15 psi capability?

I would also like to add that the reason I bought these two Flex fermenters is I want stainless steel. I want the convenience of rigidly welded handles although I recently ordered the caster wheels. But even more is I purchased the coils for temperature control. I love the 4" triclamp opening in the top. Big for adding hops and accepts the coil.

Could you put on a ring style clamp on the lid like the conicals have? When I bought mine I looked at all the stuff , including accessories and what not . I dont weld , nor do I know anyone who can weld SS or make it look factory. By the time I added it all up I went with the CF5. It was a no brainer for me . I will say those of you who have modded with ports and dumping valves that's pretty cool . Some people like to tinker . I love the shiny bling look of SS , but it look like pop if I tried to mod it lol.

Could you put on a ring style clamp on the lid like the conicals have? When I bought mine I looked at all the stuff , including accessories and what not . I dont weld , nor do I know anyone who can weld SS or make it look factory. By the time I added it all up I went with the CF5. It was a no brainer for me . I will say those of you who have modded with ports and dumping valves that's pretty cool . Some people like to tinker . I love the shiny bling look of SS , but it look like pop if I tried to mod it lol.

Yes probably but they cost around 50-60 bucks. I don't need it.

Remember I only have $270 in each fermenter. Conicals are nice but 2 would have been like 1200. I paid just over 500 for 2.

Back