Spike Conical- observations and best practices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming this unfermented wort on the bottom gets up into the beer will this cause issues? I put 10lbs of pressure hoping it would slide down, but it didn’t move. This is a NEIPA I brewed yesterday, I have never seen wort get stuck like this.

I just ended up opening the valve for a second time to discard. Lost a little more beer than I wanted but didn’t want the unfermented wort in the very bottom getting back into the beer post fermentation.

Last edited:
This may have been addressed already but what are you guys doing about your dry hop additions? I plan on adding 3 ounces in the conical. Are our adding loose or using a hop bag? The last NEIPA I did I had issues with clogging. Will cold crashing make the all of the hops drop out?

Mongoose I have read that thread and I think the best solution for Spike owners is a purchase of another dump valve and site glass which you proposed, great idea by the way! I assume I won’t have any issues with the loose hops clogging when I get ready to transfer? Last time I did this I had all sort of problems. However I did not cold crash either.

Assuming this unfermented wort on the bottom gets up into the beer will this cause issues? I put 10lbs of pressure hoping it would slide down, but it didn’t move. This is a NEIPA I brewed yesterday, I have never seen wort get stuck like this.
I think I might have misunderstood your situation. Are you saying that the material is actually causing blockacage and prevents you from dumping it? I assumed this was the case but now I'm not sure anymore. Just putting pressure on the beer without opening the valve is not going to push anything anywhere, you actually need to open the valve to dump the material. If that means loosing some unfermented wort than you'll have to come to terms with that as the only alternative is to keep the trub there until your beer is ready to transfer.

Mongoose I have read that thread and I think the best solution for Spike owners is a purchase of another dump valve and site glass which you proposed, great idea by the way! I assume I won’t have any issues with the loose hops clogging when I get ready to transfer? Last time I did this I had all sort of problems. However I did not cold crash either.

I'm planning to brew again sometime this weekend and I think I'll do a hazy IPA with a dry hop addition, so it'll be tested out then. Stay tuned.

i've had this happen a bunch of times, a 'gap' of clear wort in the sight glass. this only lasts for a day or so before fermentation really gets rocking and loosens everything up.

I was finally able to dump the cold break in the picture I posted above. I have never seen wort get sand wiched between the cold break material like that before.

I am getting ready to do my first round of dry hops and the last time I just dumped the hops in I had all sort of racking issues. I’m paranoid just dumping loose hops will cause another clog when I get ready to transfer. Will cold crashing eliminate this issue or should I use a bag for dry hopping?

i didn't initially purchase the racking arm, figured i could dump enough and run the first bit of finished beer to clear the valve. i kept having issues with clogging and finally got the racking arm, no issues since, i don't use a hop bag.

I just purchased the racking arm for future brews. I went ahead rolled the dice and dumped the hops in loose. I sure hope I don’t run into a clogged line when I rack this NEIPA.

I just purchased the racking arm for future brews. I went ahead rolled the dice and dumped the hops in loose. I sure hope I don’t run into a clogged line when I rack this NEIPA.
Ive NEVER had anything close to a clogged line let alone any visible sediment when using the racking arm after cold crashing using my cf15. I frequently brew with over a pound of dryhops. Without the racking arm you will definitely have issues as alot of the hops will settle in the port area and can immediately clog the line. Cheers

I was finally able to dump the cold break in the picture I posted above. I have never seen wort get sand wiched between the cold break material like that before.

I am getting ready to do my first round of dry hops and the last time I just dumped the hops in I had all sort of racking issues. I’m paranoid just dumping loose hops will cause another clog when I get ready to transfer. Will cold crashing eliminate this issue or should I use a bag for dry hopping?

Yeah I'm with you. I'm a bagger all the way. Too much trouble when you just toss the hops in commando. It's better to add a tad more hops in a bag then to deal with clogged lines and such.

Yeah I'm with you. I'm a bagger all the way. Too much trouble when you just toss the hops in commando. It's better to add a tad more hops in a bag then to deal with clogged lines and such.
Your having issues with clogging in a spike cf unitank with the racking arm? Are you cold crashing? cheers

Your having issues with clogging in a spike cf unitank with the racking arm? Are you cold crashing? cheers

No not in the cf5 . I have a fast ferment . I'm actually gonna get the cf5 . Was looking at the ss brewtech but decided on spike . I've never cold crashed . I'm fixing to build a glycol chiller and then I will be able to cold crash .
I've had my Grainfather plug due to hops and seen keg lines get plugged . No bueno

No not in the cf5 . I have a fast ferment . I'm actually gonna get the cf5 . Was looking at the ss brewtech but decided on spike . I've never cold crashed . I'm fixing to build a glycol chiller and then I will be able to cold crash .
I've had my Grainfather plug due to hops and seen keg lines get plugged . No bueno
Ah that makes more sense. as long as you cold crash and have the racking arm with the cf5 you won't have any problems and definitely don't need to waste time fiddling with bags. Cheers

I actually have the cf15 but I love it. I've had it since they first came out. I'd recommend the carb stone also. It's probably my favorite part. Cheers

Do you use the carb stone with the racking arm? I used it to oxygenate and carbonate through the racking arm, but feel it would be more effective without the racking arm. I've been considering adding a butterfly valve to the sample port and oxygenating/ carbonating through that..

Do you use the carb stone with the racking arm? I used it to oxygenate and carbonate through the racking arm, but feel it would be more effective without the racking arm. I've been considering adding a butterfly valve to the sample port and oxygenating/ carbonating through that..
Yes I both aerate with the red tanks thru the stone and arm as well as carbonate. It probably would be more effective without the arm and that had crossed my mind in the beginning however its ended up working great for me the way it is. Maybe I'll buy another valve and try it out. Cheers

How does this benefit? I have the co2 manifold and can carb from there or use fermentation c02 to add some carbonation. Just curious what the benefit of using the carb stone?

How does this benefit? I have the co2 manifold and can carb from there or use fermentation c02 to add some carbonation. Just curious what the benefit of using the carb stone?

You can carbonate much quicker (24 hrs) with the carb stone than force carbonating through the manifold.

Now that I think about it you could even just put the carb stone in the sample port spot and attach the sample port to the racking arm to test it out.

That's an idea, I wonder if there's a risk of the stone clogging while being in contact with beer during the entire fermentation?

This may have been addressed already but what are you guys doing about your dry hop additions? I plan on adding 3 ounces in the conical. Are our adding loose or using a hop bag? The last NEIPA I did I had issues with clogging. Will cold crashing make the all of the hops drop out?
I just got a CF5 and did my first attempt at dry hopping. 4 ounces of pellets. I do have the racking arm and pointed in downward but I had clogging. I don't have the ability to cold crash. I was thinking I would try a bag next time, although it seems like a lot of people use no bag/commando without issues.

I just got a CF5 and did my first attempt at dry hopping. 4 ounces of pellets. I do have the racking arm and pointed in downward but I had clogging. I don't have the ability to cold crash. I was thinking I would try a bag next time, although it seems like a lot of people use no bag/commando without issues.
No cold crashing ability yet on mine. I just did a DDH with 4 oz of pellets. Then dumped. Waited and did 2 oz of Cryo. All in a span of three weeks. Dumped the last DH a day before racking and had no issue. The only thing I can recommend is to wait and have gravity do it’s thing if you can’t cold crash.

No cold crashing ability yet on mine. I just did a DDH with 4 oz of pellets. Then dumped. Waited and did 2 oz of Cryo. All in a span of three weeks. Dumped the last DH a day before racking and had no issue. The only thing I can recommend is to wait and have gravity do it’s thing if you can’t cold crash.
I think you’re right - I didn’t give enough time for hops/yeast to settle. Yeast was still a little active. Thanks

It says it holds up to 15 psi. Do you carbonate then transfer to a keg?
I carbonate then transfer to kegs. It takes 24 hours using the stone. I prefer the beer in the kegs to be completely finished and sediment free. Imho that's the whole point of the unitank. Cheers

What are you guys doing to warm your conicals? I have a glycol chiller that works great. However the heat blanket I have been using can’t keep the beer over 69-70. I’m about to brew a Westy 12 Clone and need to hit 80. I can see this being a challenge in my garage. Anyone use an aftermarket heating pad that will keep up?

I have a ferm wrap mat heater that I wrapped around the cone part of the conical and taped in place. I didn’t order the jacket for the conical until it was already full, so that is currently off. I’m thinking without great contact on the conical and the heat is probably more radiating outward, it doesn’t really do the trick to maintain temps at all. I bought the TC 100 without a heater option since I had this ferm wrap, but went ahead and ordered the one from spike- it is made to fit the conical better and I expect I’ll have better luck. Good luck.

IMG_5758.JPG

One advantage to terminating it in a bucket is you can monitor fermentation, i.e., when bubbling slows, you know it's nearing the end. I like to bump up the temp when the krausen falls and I've discovered this is very hard to see through the stainless sides of my Spike. :) When the bubbling slows that corresponds to the krausen falling.

I run my off-gassed CO2 through a jar, same purpose.

Here is is, going to town:

For those using a chamber to control temp, has anyone found the smallest fridge or freezer that will fit the CF5 comfortably? I’m looking into getting either the CF5 or the SS 7 gal Unitank and not sure I feel like dealing with a diy glycol unit.

Back