Gauge oil leak in Spike All-in-one PRV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWood2115

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I disassembled and cleaned my Spike All-in-one PRV yesterday and found what looks to be a black oil residue on the end of the pressure gauge. Admittedly I hadn't cleaned this in a while as my normal process is to mount the PRV on a 6" spool to keep it well above the krausen and just spray some starsan up the inside of the PRV body before putting it on my CF10.

PRV gauge.jpeg

The inside of the PRV body also had a ~1/8" ring of black oil around the threaded hole. I assume this means the oil in the pressure gauge was leaking, but it certainly doesn't look food grade (or very appealing). There was no indication that it had dripped into the fermenter, but none the less this seems concerning.

This may be unrelated, but the gauge seems to have gotten less accurate (reading 3-4 psi low) over the last couple of months. Could this occur from oil leaking from the gauge?

Anyone else experience something similar?

@SpikeBrewing have any comments?

Just a thought, has the gauge (PRV) ever been subjected to a negative pressure < zero PSI (vacuum) from cold crashing or lagering at low temps?

Back