Spike 10G - horizontal or verticle ports?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphys_Law

Reaction score
I currently brew BIAB on a Bayou 16G and since 99% of my beers are low/mid gravity and 5.5G batches I am thinking of downsizing/upgrading to a new kettle.

A few reasons: easier to carry and store in my brew closet, less head space and better temp control, and the thrill of new bling :)

I'll keep the 16 for bigger beers.

I'm going back and forth on vertical or horizontal ports though and curious to hear what others have. Right now I am leaning on going vertical - keeping thermo away from heat source (propane) and I imagine I'll always have more than 4 gallons, which about the level of water needed to cover the probe.

I'd love to hear from others and learn from your experiences!

They do custom too which is what I'm going to do. I am going to do vertical but offset the thermometer horizontally by a few inches and make it lower so it is below post boil volume line.

You don't have to settle for either, have both!

They do custom too which is what I'm going to do. I am going to do vertical but offset the thermometer horizontally by a few inches and make it lower so it is below post boil volume line.

You don't have to settle for either, have both!

That's a good idea!

I recently went through the same thought process and wound up with a vertical configuration. To me I wouldn't use the thermo port for a thermometer. I guess a non-digital thermometer doesn't give me confidence. An idea where temps are is convenient but it won't improve my process. I would only have it to give me the ability to whirlpool. For that, I think vertical might be better. For now I'll keep the "thermo" port plugged, but it's there if I ever decide to utilize it. I'm sure people have whirlpooled with horizontal couplers successfully, but I think there is some value to have it higher than the ball valve. I'll say that I don't think you have to whirlpool for good beer, but if that is something you want to do it might be a consideration. My main reason would be to keep the wort moving around my IC for faster cooling so I don't have to sit and swirl the wort for 20 minutes.

Latest posts

Back